Boat

I have a 2000 Larson inboard w/merc engine. Quit working, put…

I have a 2000 Larson...
I have a 2000 Larson inboard w/merc engine. Quit working, put in a fuel pump. cleaned out all fuel filters but seems like the engine does not get gas and backfires when tryng to start it. replaced spark plugs also. engine turns over but seemd like not getting enough gas. what can I look for?... Read full answer
I have a 2000 Larson inboard w/merc engine. Quit working, put in a fuel pump. cleaned out all fuel filters but seems like the engine does not get gas and backfires when tryng to start it. replaced spark plugs also. engine turns over but seemd like not getting enough gas. what can I look for?
9/8/2013
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Has the engine been sitting for awhile?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

3.0 mercrusier ol622468 boat sat for two weeks before I received the new fuel pump has sat for two weeks while I am try10ing to get it going

Remove the flame arrestor and have a friend pump the throttle do you see fuel squirting down the throat of the carb?

I took off the fuel into the carburetor and saw gas come out when the throttle was pumped.

What made you replace the fuel pump?

Did you have this issue before you replaced the fuel pump?

Have you checked the fuel filter in the carburetor?

So the engine hasn't run in a month correct or longer?

motor quit would not start. So I felt the motor wasn't getting gas so I replaced the pump. I checked the filter where the gas goes into the carburetor, looks clean. It has been about a month since it was working

So if you pump the throttle 3 times will the engine start and run for any period of time at all? The engine should start if you see fuel squirting into the carb. Do you have spark on all cylinders?

I will check and see if gas goes into the carb. When I pump 3 times the motor barely goes and then backfires. I have to continue to pump just to get the motor to turn over. I put a little gas into the carb and it starts up great, then dies. I did not check the gap on the plugs when I put the new ones in. Can there be blockage where the fuel filter goes into the carb(on the other side of the filter)

I believe you have a clogged carburetor. The filter is supposed to stop any debris. Being able to pour fuel into the carb tells us the engine is fine with spark. The fuel pump is new so you have fuel pressure. The only other possibility is the boat side fuel system is restricted not allowing enough fuel to the engine. Run the engine on another fuel source if this doesn't help then the carburetor is the issue. Remove carb disassemble, clean and install carb kit.

Post back with questions, findings and concerns before rating please.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Hello...my 95 sugar sand jet boat (175 merc, I think) died
Hello...my '95 sugar sand jet boat (175 merc, I think) died while under way at idle speed. My kid thought it had run out of gas (though the gauge read 1/4), so I put five gallons in it and tried to re… read more
Malta Tech
Malta Tech
Marine Tech ,
Mercruiser 3.0 engine (2007 SeaRay sundeck) running rough when
Mercruiser 3.0 engine (2007 SeaRay sundeck) running rough when throttling up and wont accelerate to plane. replaced fuel filter (old filter had rust). Engine still seems to run rough. Any suggestions … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
i put 13 gallons of diesel into my 85 gallon tank by accident.
i put 13 gallons of diesel into my 85 gallon tank by accident. can i just run it through or will i need to pump it out? tank is full… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 2000 Mercruiser, 7.4 MPI inboard. The port engine
I have a 2000 Mercruiser, 7.4 MPI inboard. The port engine is not starting. It turns over but does not fire up. Checked all harness connections. It seems that I have spark. When I spray a little start… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I have a Bayliner 195 w a 4.3-V6 Merc. engine inboard/outboard
I have a Bayliner 195 w a 4.3-V6 Merc. engine inboard/outboard out drive. the engine runs perfect in idle but when throttling engine stalls out. i was thinking bad gas or water so i removed all the ga… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
hello i have a 1996 wellcraft excel. merc 3.0 out towing a
hello i have a 1996 wellcraft excel. merc 3.0 out towing a tube two weeks ago and picked up a noise that sounded like a exhaust leak on a car at that point i lost power of the engine. it would idle an… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have 1988 merc 80hp outboard that runs good at idle and
I have 1988 merc 80hp outboard that run's good at idle and up to about 1/2 throttle then it starts to run out of fuel. then I pull back on the throttle and let it idle for few minutes and let the floa… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I have a 4.3 liter (190 hp) and it starts and idles fine.
I have a 4.3 liter (190 hp) and it starts and idles fine. I cannot get it to over 2000 rpms without it dying. It seems like it is running out of gas. If I bring the throttle back to neutral it still i… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
have a 9.9 merc. it is oil gas mix 2007 it backfires when
have a 9.9 merc. it is oil gas mix 2007 it backfires when given a little gas someone said clean carb is there any thing i can put in the gas or do i take it to some were to be taken apart and cleaned … read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2005 Merc. 25hp, Efi four stroke. Its been running
I have a 2005 Merc. 25hp, Efi four stroke. It's been running great until this year (after warranty of course!) I was cruising around the lake, trolling speed and the engine started bogging down and I … read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
40h merc outboard runs like a champ with garden hose and muffs
40h merc outboard runs like a champ with garden hose and muffs hooked up but when i put it in the lake it dogs out. full throt and only 2300 rpms and sounds bad. i checked the fuel filter and replaced… read more
Scott
Scott
Marine technician,
I have a 1968 4 cyl Ford engine in my boat. Engine turns over
I have a 1968 4 cyl Ford engine in my boat. Engine turns over well but won't start. Put in a new coil and get spark to the distributor but no spark out. Distributor cap is in good condition, cleaned t… read more
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959
Owner/Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
i have an 87 well craft w/inboard 165 merc and i cant get it
i have an 87 well craft w/inboard 165 merc and i cant get it to start it turns but not fast enough to turn on… read more
ROCKET
ROCKET
MASTER CERTIFIED TECH,
I have two 8.1 Horizon inboard engines in my 2001 34 foot Searay
I have two 8.1 Horizon inboard engines in my 2001 34 foot Searay Amberjack. When I raise the RPM speed to about 2400 the port engine starts to backfire, I changed the plugs and gaped them correctly. I… read more
ROCKET
ROCKET
MASTER CERTIFIED TECH,
Boat runs fine for 5 to 10 minutes. Then it stalls and wont
Boat runs fine for 5 to 10 minutes. Then it stalls and won't restart. If I wait about 20 minutes it will start and run for less than a minute and stop. Has brand new battery. I put on a new coil. Has … read more
Scott
Scott
Marine technician,
My 1995(merc 120 sport jet) sugar sand mirage super sport ...
My 1995(merc 120 sport jet) sugar sand mirage super sport starts and runs, but doesnt seem to want to get up on plane almost seems like it is bogging down when it gets loaded up....HELP… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
Rigger, Diagnostician,
I have a 92 SeaRay Sundancer, 7.4L Merc. The timing
I have a ''92 SeaRay Sundancer, 7.4L Merc. The timing was set to 0deg causing backfiring through the carb under load at 2000 RPM; reset to 8deg, backfiring stopped. The engine still will not spin up p… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
our inboard boat wont start after sitting for the ...
our inboard boat wont start after sitting for the winter (carver mariner 28''). its is turning over, just not firing - after a while of trying to get it going, i kill the batteries. someone with a lit… read more
BC Boat Guy
BC Boat Guy
Lecturer/Instructor,