Boat

I have a Yanmar 2QM15. I changed the secondary fuel filter…

I have a Yanmar 2QM15...

I have a Yanmar 2QM15. I changed the secondary fuel filter the other day, and now my boat is belching out black smoke. When I originally changed the filter, I didn't realize the fuel had to be bled out. So I tried starting it 5 or 6 times over the course of 10 minutes. A friend came over and bled the fuel lines, which took a while. When the... Read full answer

I have a Yanmar 2QM15. I changed the secondary fuel filter the other day, and now my boat is belching out black smoke. When I originally changed the filter, I didn't realize the fuel had to be bled out. So I tried starting it 5 or 6 times over the course of 10 minutes. A friend came over and bled the fuel lines, which took a while. When the engine finally started again it began pushing out a lot of black water and smoke - leaving a carbon particulate on the surface of the water. We ran it for a while, and the problem continued. Eventually, the water and exhaust cleared up, but when I put the transmission in gear the RPMs drop dramatically and the engine puffs black smoke, as if it's under load. I had a mechanic look at it, and he suggested that the most likely cause is a clog in the exhaust mixing elbow from exhaust and rust (as it's a salt-water cooled engine). And since it's from 1980 it should probably be replaced.

Since it doesn't appear that there are any leaks in the lines we bled, I'm wondering if there are any other possibilities of what could be causing this issue.. other than a coincidence that the elbow gave out at the same time I replaced the filter.

I should note that when I started the motor in the past, a small amount of this particulate matter came out each time. Also we took the exhaust host off of the elbow this evening, and it looked like the elbow was about 1/4 to 1/3 clogged.

8/20/2013
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Have you changed the primary fuel filter?

The things that will cause black smoke are. Clogged air intake, restricted exhaust, defectives injectors are the most common causes. From there is gets more serious. Leaking valves intake or exhaust, poor ventilation in the engine room restricting air flow and poor quality fuel.

I have not changed the primary filter yet. That is on my list of things to do tomorrow. Could that have caused that dramatic of a change in the matter of a day, however? And could the exhaust output become clogged that rapidly?

A couple notes I left out before and couldn't add to the original question:

- Part of the time we ran the engine we were under sail. When the boat picked up a few knots, the RPMs increased - black smoke decreased - and the engine didn't sound stressed out. When the wind died down, however, the RPMs went down again.

- When I replaced the secondary fuel filter, I also replaced the air intake filter - which is working properly.

Ok do you know if you have any growth on the running gear or the bottom of the boat this can cause black smoke also?

If you have a fuel restriction the engine will not run correctly and cause loading and black smoke.

The possibility of this happening after the filter is most likely only coincidence.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is the running gear? I don't think there is any growth at the bottom of the boat, but I can dive it in the morning and check through holes. My diver was last down there two weeks ago, but I've been sailing quite a bit.

Would you say my next steps would be to:

1) Replace primary fuel filter

2) Check for growth elsewhere on the boat

If I was to replace the primary fuel filter, how long would I need to run the engine to flush everything out (thus to determine if that was the cause)?

The running gear is the prop, rudder and shaft. If they become dirty or fouled with anything this will cause the engine to load and smoke.

If you bleed the system properly it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get good fuel.

Do you notice any vibration out of the ordinary?

Hi Tan,

I haven't noticed any vibrations out of the ordinary. When the engine running in gear and the RPMs dropped very low, there was obviously more overall vibration than when the engine is at a higher RPM.

Does the engine seem low on power? Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

I'm going to change it this evening. Will let you know the outcome.

When I do a cold start on the engine with the throttle open, it takes a good 10 seconds for it to catch up to a normal RPM for that position of the throttle -- this is when the carbon particulate comes out. It struggles to get there, but once the RPMs pick up, the engine sounds normal until you put it in gear, after which the RPMs drop to a crawl.

You have either fuel injector issues or fuel supply issue. See what happens after the fuel filter is replaced. Now once the engine is running and it slows down open the fuel fitting at each injector does the rpms change. Be careful with this test as it will squirt fuel. This is a cyliunder drops test. The engine should loose the same amount of rpms on each cylinder. If there is a difference between cylinder noticeable then I would suspect that cylinder and injector. If one injector is acting up have al injectors reconditioned.
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
A sailboat I want to buy has a Yanmar 75hp eng that showed
A sailboat I want to buy has a Yanmar 75hp eng that showed white smoke at 2900rpm during a test. What does that mean?… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
yanmar 2gm20f - was motor sailing - engine running well then
yanmar 2gm20f - was motor sailing - engine running well then slowed and stopped - I bled the low pressure side then bled high pressure side - engine will turn over sputter then stop -emits black exhau… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Engine runs a few minutes and then puff of heavy smoke out
Engine runs a few minutes and then puff of heavy smoke out the exaust, runs clean couple minutes a again large puff smoke and fuel in water.Had injectors checked and positive are OK. Whats next thanmk… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
MY VOLVO PENTA MD2020B 3CYL HAS NO POWER ABOVE 1800RPM. JUST
MY VOLVO PENTA MD2020B 3CYL HAS NO POWER ABOVE 1800RPM. JUST GETS TO 2000RPM WITH BLACK SMOKE AND BLACK SOOT COMING OUT WITH WATER EXHAUST.I HAVE NEW FUEL FILTER INSTALLED AND BLED ALL AIR OUT OF FUEL… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 3QM30 motor in my 1982 Irwin sailboat. The exhaust
I have a 3QM30 motor in my 1982 Irwin sailboat. The exhaust seems to be putting out an excessive amount of steam. The thermostat is new as well as the water pump impeller. Any suggestions?… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hi I have a 1GM Yanmar engine in my 1983 27ft Hunter sailboat
Hi: I have a 1GM Yanmar engine in my 1983 27ft Hunter sailboat which blows black smoke on full throttle most (but not all) the time. I thought it might be the prop out of spec, but I took it to a prop… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 1975 Hunter 30 ft. yanmar Yse12, I just bought it
I have a 1975 Hunter 30 ft. yanmar Yse12, I just bought it in nov. my problem is it seems to smoke (black) in the eng.comp. and is more noisey than i think is normal. I pulled the valve cover off and … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a Yanmar 2Gm20F in a 22ft. Erickson sailboat it has
I have a Yanmar 2Gm20F in a 22ft. Erickson sailboat it has 400 hrs. on it. The problem I have is I was idling thru the harbor to the fuel house and when I tryed to throttle up it fell on its face and … read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
Dear Sir My yanmar 35 responds adequately at low revs, but
Dear Sir My yanmar 35 responds adequately at low revs, but when I increase the revs black smoke spews from the exhaust and what appears to be globules of soot resulting in power loss. What must I do t… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
my ysb8 yanmar diesel, when idling the water is clear, coming
my ysb8 yanmar diesel, when idling the water is clear, coming out of the boat, when I put it in gear the water look like it has a little diesel in it, but the exost is fine, what caues that, should I … read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
we have a 20 inch single cylinder Yanmar plate compactor,
we have a 20 inch single cylinder Yanmar plate compactor, deisel, have trouble starting, and when it does start, will take some time to get revs up, lots of smoke until it runs up to speed, what could… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
MY YANMAR 2QM15 D ESEL. my problem is heating.this engine cools
MY YANMAR 2QM15 DIESEL. my problem is heating.this engine cools from the salt water. I checked the impeller, it's ok, pipes are clean. the mixing elbow was cracked from outside and repaired it. throug… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
Stop searching for answers—
There is no seawater exiting the exhaust from my Yanmar 3gm30f
There is no seawater exiting the exhaust from my Yanmar 3gm30f diesel. The strainer and raw water loop is clear past the water pump and up to the heat exchanger. The exhaust elbow is new. What should … read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
I have a 1993 Yanmar 2GM20F 2cyl diesel marine engine 18 horse
I have a 1993 Yanmar 2GM20F 2cyl diesel marine engine 18 horse p.. with the engine running fine at full throtle 2500rpm it suddenly slowed down...I thought the throtle was slipping and pushed the thro… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
I have a 2002 Sabreline 36 Flybridge Cruiser with twin Yanmar
I have a 2002 Sabreline 36 Flybridge Cruiser with twin Yanmar 370 engines. During a recent cruise, I noted that a lot of gray smoke was collecting a couple hundred feet behind the boat while traveling… read more
Diesel Boat Doc
Diesel Boat Doc
On a Yanmar 3cylinder 23hp 1344hours. Exhaust elbow appears
On a Yanmar 3cylinder 23hp 1344hours. Exhaust elbow appears clogged. Is there a solvent available to clean it out? 2 months ago I cleared it with some wire.… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School
I have a pair of Yanmar 240 HP with 780 hrs on them. The exhaust
I have a pair of Yanmar 240 HP with 780 hrs on them. The exhaust elbows on port engine just rusted through and came apart and filled the engine room with thick black smoke on my MAINSHIP 40. I can see… read more
Professor Diesel
Professor Diesel
Proprietor,
I have a Yanmar diesel in my sailboat and when I increase the
I have a Yanmar diesel in my sailboat and when I increase the boat speed past 4 knots I start to get both black and white smoke from the exhaust. I have checked the cooling intake filter and it is cle… read more
Yachtwork
Yachtwork
Owner Team Yachtwork,
Technical or Trade School