Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

new 2012 stx f15 loss of stability

Purchased a new 2012 stx...

Purchased a new 2012 stx f15 in May. At 9 hours in it suddenly became unstable & tippy both at low & high speeds. Felt like the boat was overloaded although not. Had it in for 10 hour service & they reported no problems just completed the service with tuning. This fixed the problem & now I have 16 hrs & it suddenly started same problem. Above 32 mph it begins to sway & even sitting position it feels as if it may tip over with just one rider. Drain plugs in tight with no leaks. Boat feels unsafe & lower in water. Disappointing for 2 reasons...brand new boat & already having to deal with issues, & I purchased this model for its HP + rated stability. Mechanics noted NO issues with engine upon servicing. Engine appears to be running great but sounds as if its trying to pull more weight....maybe a little bogged. Steering is also part of symptom feels like I'm having to turn boat harder & then it dips to that side. No salt water thus far. Please help I love my boat...Miss~N~Winter is too new to have these problems. Thank you..

7/16/2013
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX am I speaking to ?

Did you purchase this ski new or used in may ? And if you don't mind can I get the HIN hull number of the unit, I want to verify the model code.

Thanks

Kenny

Brand new! Model JT1500ACF

Hi Kenny I'm Leisa

Thanks Leisa

Do you have a HIN number ?

Thanks

Kenny

KAW10113H112

Thanks Leisa

I need to know about how much weight is on the ski when its starts to yaw ? and I'm assuming this is on smoother water ?

Thanks

Kenny

Does not matter if there is one rider or two it has the same issue. With one rider it was 160 lbs & with two riders around 320lbs. Also did not differentiate between smooth or choppy waters....same tippy feeling both fast or slow. the boat is rated for 480 lbs does the same things regardless. Even sitting still. Whatever the men did during the 10 hr service fixed the problem at least temporarily & they said all they did was ensure bolts were tightened as well as cables. This past Saturday it rode great, then yesterday on water this problem was immediate. Checked impeller, no signs of clogging & I have not given her any crazy rides.

Thanks Leisa for getting back and all your info you have supplied

Not sure if you seen my background, but I have a very extensive background with watercraft, this ski in my opinion is one of the best that Kawasaki has ever built, I was working there when this ski was developed and I have many hours on this model.

I believe that you have a problem with the hull, maybe not the hull itself but more with the placement of the sponsons, ride plate and it intake grate, maybe hull ? but something isn't right I can tell you that for sure, as this ski has never exhibited any weird hull problems. It could be something simple or not, however you purchased this ski about 2 months ago, this is a problem that you need to make Kawasaki Motors aware of, I'm not sure what the dealer did to make it better but there is usually not much done on a first service, maybe it was coincidental ? but for it to come back doesn't make sense, based on everything you said at this point I would lean more towards a power related issue, that is the only thing that will change, if it was something in the hull or a problem with a component on the bottom of the ski, I would suspect that it would be there all the time.

I believe that this is something that you should get Kawasaki involved with, they have a field service adviser in your area that would come to your dealer and that gets them involved.

Would you like some names and how about getting the process started, I would be glad to help you out ?

Kenny

Sure this would be helpful! Thanks Kenny. Just really disappointed...I love the ski! This is the reason I purchased a new one so I could rest assured it would work.

Don't be discouraged, it really is a Great ski, once this problem gets solved you'll be a happy camper !

I will post up a page for the contact info, please let me know when you down load it.

Thanks Leisa !

Kenny

https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJyS3haYUkzeUpwdmNUQw

Kenny O.
Kenny O.
Kenny O.