Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have 2000 Johnson 115 HP two stroke Oceanpro. Motor is smoking…

Have 2000 Johnson 115 HP...
Have 2000 Johnson 115 HP two stroke Oceanpro. Motor is smoking profusely when started. After running at idle for some time the smoke diminishes some but not completely. Bought boat and motor last fall. Used boat twice. When first started in water the motor smoked some but stopped after some acceleration and use. Did not smoke the second day. There is oil in reservoir. Been sitting for the winter. Not winterized. Just left motor in down position. Not a severe winter. Engine and oil lights indicate no problem. Must choke at ignition to start. Engine is clean as a pin. No oil in cover or engine compartment.
4/13/2013
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

I understand what you wrote but what is your question? Could I get your engine model number please?

HI Tan - the motore information is: Johnson J115VL

The boat has sat all winter and now when started white smoke comes out of the engine. This seems to be unusal. What would be the cause / remedy for this.

Hi David, When these engine sit for a long period of time the fuel in the carbs will evaporate leaving the 2 stroke oil in the carb. Then when you get ready to start the engine you squeeze the primer bulb filling the carb with fuel oil mix. Now you have an extra rich mixture of oil and fuel. Start the motor it will smoke profusely for awhile till excess oil is burned off. Now the engine may smoke a little more than usual for a while till all the excess is burned off.

.

Now if the engine continues to smoke then you have a fuel line that is loose allowing the VRO pump to to pulse more often causing over oiling. To repair this inspect all fuel lines and tighten all fuel line connections. If any of the fuel lines are hard or black comes off in your hands replace these lines. There is no adjusting the oil flow rate on this pump so the only thing that causes over oiling is loose fuel line connections or deteriorated fuel lines. I would run the boat couple more times and see if the smoke clears.

.

The engine does have an alarm system that will sound if you have an over heat issue or a low oil and no oil situation.

.

Post back with questions.

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

This is logical and what I suspected but I wasn't sure and I was getting worried. Never had a two stroke boat engine with oil injection. I'll check the fuel hoses as you suggested.

Oil alarm system seems to be working. In choppy water, the oil alarm sounds sometimes as the oil "sloushes around". Engine lights go through a "check" process when ignition key is turned on.

Your information is very relieving.

Do you have any "cautions" with this engine or things I should be concerned with or guard against?

Try to stay away from ethanol enriched fuels. The low oil warning will come on periodically when the oil level in the oil tank gets around 1/4 tank. If you were to run out of oil the no oil warning will sound and put the engine in to a power reduction mode slowing the rpms. The alarm will be 1/2 on 1/2 second off repeating. The low oil alarm is about every 30 seconds and over heat is a continuous alarm.

.

Use the boat is the best thing you can do sitting is not good for them.

.

Post back if you have any other questions.