Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

i have a 1989 skeeter bass boat 150 black max been on the

i have a 1989 skeeter bass boat 150 black max
been on the lake 2 times since tune up a mth ago
today took to the lake she was cold and was having trouble starting never did then it wont do anthing can hear the choke trim light work let it cool off all afternoon still nothing when i hit the key but the choke engage ad yes it is in netural
thank you for any help

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

The engine won't turn over with the starter correct? Do you hear any clicking from the start solenoid when cranking? Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no just the choke im getting the # XXXXX

mercury xr2 black max a732499

i bought it a mth ago took it to the mech full tune up drain the gas tank ect.ran fine 2 weekends ago

Hi Chris, Do you have a volt meter to do some testing? Do you want trouble shooting help or just things that can cause the issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im a master hvac mech im good with ele .its up to u ill try to be a good helper

Chris, What we need to start with is checking the voltage at the starter. You should have 12 volts at the starter.

Check all the battery connections for corrosion and that they are very tight.

If yes then with a jumper wire jump from the yellow/red terminal # XXXXX on the starter to battery positive # XXXXX

Does the engine crank? If yes we know the engine is ok. If no we need to check the battery cables and connections and test the voltage at the battery terminal # XXXXX while cranking must be 9.5+ volts. If voltage then test for voltage to the starter # XXXXX when cranking. If voltage starter is bad if no voltage the solenoid is bad.

Now we need to check for voltage at the key switch red terminal # XXXXX If no voltage check the fuse next to the start solenoid. If voltage then we need to check for voltage at the yellow/red terminal # XXXXX when cranking.

If voltage then we need to go to the start solenoid and check for voltage at the yellow/red term # XXXXX when cranking. If voltage and the engine doesn't crank the solenoid is bad. If no voltage then the neutral safety switch is bad.

.

Here is a diagram to follow. If you have any questions on the procedure just post back and I will see if I can be clearer.

.

Post back with questions, findings and concerns before rating please.graphic