Boat

I have a overheating problem in a 5.7 volvo penta 1999 .we…

Customer Question
I have a overheating problem...
I have a overheating problem in a 5.7 volvo penta 1999 .we have changed water pump ,impeller,cleaned risers , flused block ,changed thermostat,removed thermostat,flushed block,swapped outdrives ,used heat gun to verify 1 engine is 15 degrees hotter at least than the other any ideas... Read full answer
I have a overheating problem in a 5.7 volvo penta 1999 .we have changed water pump ,impeller,cleaned risers , flused block ,changed thermostat,removed thermostat,flushed block,swapped outdrives ,used heat gun to verify 1 engine is 15 degrees hotter at least than the other any ideas
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Boat
10/24/2012
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi there,

What is the full and complete model number on the engine? Does it have freshwater cooling (with a heat exchanger and antifreeze) or is it seawater cooled only, where seawater goes through the entire engine?

How hot is the engine actually running as read via the IR temp gun?

--Jason

not sure of engine # right now ,fresh water cooled w/ heat exchanger for hot water heater ,,,not closed cooling w/antifreeze

How hot is it actually getting? Since you don't have the model number handy, is your impeller in the sterndrive, or engine mounted on the crankshaft?

impeller is in the actual water pump housing all new and funtioning ,water pump is cool ,intake is cool ,temp is about 200 enough to set alarm off and go into safe mode .Runs fine at 2000 RPM BUT AT HIGHER SPEED OVERHEATS

So far all I know from you is more questions I am almost out of responses I need out of the box thoughts I am looking at collasped hose or circulating pump but not sure about where else to look

Mike,

Thats why I need your model number, do know what you have. Is your water pump housing in the sterndrive, or mounted to the engine, they come both ways. (if I had the model number I would know this, and would not have to be asking)

--Jason

Mounted to the engine ,,Water flows good through there but block area seems to be the problem again only after 2000 RPM ,,,3500 RPM SOLID FOR ABOUT 2 MILES AND ALARM GOES OFF could it be a intake hose collapsing

Mike,

Your next step here is to do a water volume output test. What you want to do is put the boat in the water (has to be in the water for this to work, the garden hose won't cut it).

Remove the cooling line that comes out of the seawater pump. (you can typically undo it up by the thermostat housing). Start and run the engine, and bring it up to 1k rpms. As soon as water comes out of the hose, point to hose into a 5 gallon bucket and count to 10. After 10 seconds point the hose away from the bucket, and shut the engine off. There will not be any cooling water going into the engine so try not to let it run any longer than 30 seconds.

You should have approximately 2 gallons in the bucket. Run the test and let me know what you actually get.

--Jason

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Port engine is heating up to 192, replaced manifolds,
Port engine is heating up to 192, replaced manifolds, thermostat and impeller, pumps plenty of water and risers are not hot to touch, thinking maybe a temp sensor? … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Recently had manifold and risers opened and checked.
Recently had manifold and risers opened and checked. Replaced with new gaskets. At that point the engine starting overheating at idle, 225+ add a little throttle 1000rpm, it would cool off below 160. … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2014 Mercruiser 5.7 fresh water cooled. It
I have a 2014 Mercruiser 5.7 fresh water cooled. It overheated yesterday. I put a gallon of coolant in tonight and ran it. It stayed at 160-170 at dock idling for 15 minutes. I took it for a ride and … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 2006 Crownline 202 with a volvo pent 5.0. It has
I have a 2006 Crownline 202 with a volvo pent 5.0. It has always performed well, but last season I had trouble with overheating. The temp gauge would get to about 196 degrees and the alarm would sound… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
We have a 2670 Bayliner Explorer with a 125AQ Volvo Penta
We have a 2670 Bayliner Explorer with a 125AQ Volvo Penta coupled to a 270 outdrive. Built in 1981. Boat long distances in Prince William Sound. Last tune up was about 200 hours ago. I did not properl… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
My volvo penta 4.3 engine is overheating. Replaced thermostat
My volvo penta 4.3 engine is overheating. Replaced thermostat and impeller and it continues to overheat. Feels like water is being pumped in, no leaks observed or weeping of water pump, but water does… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
lost my water pump impeller on 98 330 sea ray with v drives
lost my water pump impeller on 98 330 sea ray with v drives last year local shop replaced impeller. they did not flush system so they came back and removed a few pieces of rubber because of a lack of … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 05 Crownline with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GI. I have notice
I have a 05 Crownline with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GI. I have notice it to smoke a little out of the side exhaust (white smoke). Especially after coming off plane and into a no wake zone. Does not burn oil … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I started the boat for the first time this season. It stated
I started the boat for the first time this season. It stated right away. I noticed that one side of the out drive shoos more water than the other side also the side with less water, the water is warme… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1993 Merc 350 Magnum 5.7 L with Alpha 1 outdrive.
I have a 1993 Merc 350 Magnum 5.7 L with Alpha 1 outdrive. Engine overheats under heavy throttle (usually runs about 170 according to gauge), but not while keeping below 3000 rpm. Checked flow from ou… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2000yr. chaparrel with a 5.0 mercury and a volvo penta
I have a 2000yr. chaparrel with a 5.0 mercury and a volvo penta outdrive. I changed the impeller it is in properly and my boat is still over heating, also I thought water needs to come out of the cent… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
I have a Volvo Penta 7.4gi that was removed from the boat and
I have a Volvo Penta 7.4gi that was removed from the boat and rebuilt . When it was returned it was completely intact except for the oil cooler and lines, and the headers (risers) had to be put on. My… read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
Stop searching for answers—
i have a mercruiser 496 mpi 8.1 closed coolant sysem manifold
i have a mercruiser 496 mpi 8.1 closed coolant sysem manifold sensors throw an alarm at about 175 degrees. The engine temp with a temp gun is 165, the manifold are the same and the risers get up to 20… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
I just replaced my risers and manifolds on vp 5.7 gxi 2003.
I just replaced my risers and manifolds on vp 5.7 gxi 2003. Now the engine alarm sounds after idling for 5 minutes. temp gun shows the risers are hot at 150 degrees. The manifold at 140. much hotter t… read more
Whitecap36
Whitecap36
Service Manager/Technician,
I have twin volvo penta 5.7 GXil-F gas engines, today the port
I have twin volvo penta 5.7 GXil-F gas engines, today the port side engine ran at a much lower RPM than the starboard engine, almost 800 to 900 RPMs lower. After about 30 minutes the port side engine … read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I have recently purchased a used 2004 Crownline 225BR sporting
I have recently purchased a used 2004 Crownline 225BR sporting a 5.7L GXI 350 Mag Volvo Penta and Volvo Penta Duo Prop outdrive. Only to find out later that it was once a salt water vessel. Before eve… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I own a 1992 Chaparral signature 270 cruiser. I have a volvo
I own a 1992 Chaparral signature 270 cruiser. I have a volvo penta outdrive(DPA). I recently repowered with a 5.7 long block replacing my 5.0 small block. Thr risers and manifolds are all new. I have … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
2005 Volvo/Penta (Gas) 5.0GXi/5.0L (305) V8 (GM) 270 hours
2005 Volvo/Penta (Gas) 5.0GXi/5.0L (305) V8 (GM) 270 hours started over heating Replaced, risers, manifolds, thermostat housing and thermostat, impeller and housing just incase,still over heating took… read more
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959
Owner/Marine Mechanic,