Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

How would I remove a starter from a 1998 4.3 L mercruiser Chaparral.

How would I remove a starter from a 1998 4.3 L mercruiser Chaparral. I can see two bolts on the starboard side of the starter but don't know if there are more.

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

The starter has 2 bolts coming up from the bottom of the starter. These are the only ones, some engines had a bracket at the rear of the starter no all. The bracket will be obvious. So just remove the 2 bolts coming up from the bottom of the starter and the starter will drop down. Some boats are very hard to get to the starter and you have to remove the exhaust manifold to remove the starter.graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Except for reaching the bolts, that was easy. It's out and now needs to be rebuilt. Better that than buying a new one?

Your welcome Paul.........Thank you......Tan

Some of the starters on twin applications you have to stand on your head to get them out.