Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

First time buyer of boat and motor. Can you tell me about the…

First time buyer of boat...
First time buyer of boat and motor. Can you tell me about the reliability of this 2006 115hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke engine. I was told that is has 260 hrs on it. Did this engine have any problems assuming it is well maintained ? What should I look for or ask of the present owner. It is on an 18' maycraft boat.
Ant info well be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
9/6/2012
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

The best test you can do is take the boat out for a ride. This way you can test all system functions of the boat and motor. All of the new 4 stroke motors are very reliable if well maintained. Now the biggest issue with all marine engines is the ethanol in the fuel this cause 90% of the engine issues we have today. So if you run the engine on a regular basis this leaves no time for the ethanol to deteriorate the fuel system components and contaminate the fuel. If the engine is going to be stored do not store with ethanol enriched fuel in the fuel system. Run the fuel tank almost empty and drain the fuel system or use ethanol free fuel. To be more informative on you particular engine as to issues I will need to know the make of the engine. Post back with questions.

I was told that the Johnson 115 hp V4 engine came new with the boat in 2006. 4cyc 2 stroke engine and has 260hrs. The boat is a Maycraft 18' ctr console. The owner said that it is oil enjected. I ask why he was selling his boat and was told he is moving up to a 26' Maycraft which is due to arrive the end of Sept. Can you also give me an estimated value of the engine and boat if possible.

The boat alone average retail $4,870.00 click here The price on the boat is with no extras just standard equipment. The engine average retail $3,260.00 click here.

.

This is a good engine oil injected 2 cycle, 2 stroke and very reliable. You through me off when you said 4cyc(cycle) as to 4 cyl(cylinder) But not a problem as the 2 stroke engines are good motors they won't last as long as a 4 stroke engine. But 260 hours are low hours so you still have many years of use left in the engine.

The owner said that is is a 4 cyl 2 stroke 115hp V4. Are you saying that is incorrect and it is a 2cyl 2 strokke based on what I have given you. My notes also show that he metioned a 3stroke but change it to a 2 stroke, I'm not sure that is meaningful.

In your first post you said the engine was a 4cyc (cycle) which means 4 stroke. The 2 cycle engine is 2 stroke engine. There is no such thing as a 3 cycle engine. You apparently miss spelled your abbreviation of 4 cyc instead of 4 cyl. cyc is cycle and cyl is cylinder. But your engine is a 2cycle 2 stroke engine.

"I was told that the Johnson 115 hp V4 engine came new with the boat in 2006. 4cyc 2 stroke engine and has 260hrs"

Thank you for all your help and information.

Your welcome John......Thank you in advance...Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician