Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I took the bottom off my 1997 Force 90 HP and turned the shifter

shaft or ? Anyway when...
I took the bottom off my 1997 Force 90 HP and turned the shifter shaft or ? Anyway when I put back together all it goes is forward, it even starts in gear but the control lever has to be in neutral. Where do you put the shifter (control Lever where you drive the boat) Forward, Neutral or Reverse? Then where do you turn the Shift Shaft on the bottom unit?
Thanks,
George
8/28/2012
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

Lets go back to the beginning.
Take the lower unit down.
Remove the spark plugs.
Put the control into neutral.
Put a rag on the lower shift shaft, the small splined shaft in the front of the gearcase. With a pair of pliers turn the shaft ccw while at the same time turning the propshaft. Turn until you get neutral, the prop shaft will turn freely.
Turn more ccw until you get engagement into reverse gear. The prop shaft will turn just a bit, then stop turning. Now turn back to neutral.
This ensures the gearcase is in the proper gear.
Make sure the small coupler is in place and put the gearcase back up, aligning the upper shift shaft in the midsection, with the lower one. If the gearcase does not go all the way up, turn the flywheel cw to engage the driveshaft splines into the bottom of the crankshaft. Then bolt it into place.
You need to align the driveshaft, shift shaft and water tube, all at the same time.
Hold it into place with 2 bolts and then with a friend turning the prop, shift the controls to ensure you get a full forward, neutral and reverse.
If you don't get proper engagement wither it is not properly aligned, the shaft turned or you are missing a part, such as the coupler.
Try this and post back what you find and we can go from there.
Thanks
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

I went right out and tried it. Sure it worked it's 11 PM so I couldn't start it but I FELT NEUTRAL so I'm sure it will work. While I was fixing it under a big old Oak tree I heard some limbs making noise thought it was typical squirels or racoons. But low and behold here comes down one of the biggest branches of the oak tree right to the ground, just about got me and the boat and the car, but the one end is still up on the tree.

THANKS YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT! NOT JUST A PARTS REPLACER.

Thanks,

George

Thanks!
If you have any further problems with it let me know.
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic