Boat

Reliable Johnson Seahorse 18hp.outboard motor mechanic

I am looking for an...
I am looking for an honest, knowledgeable outboard boat motor mechanic in the Modesto, Ca. 95350 area. I have a n 18 hp.outboard Johnson "Seahorse" motor. It runs. I would like someone honest to take a look at it and tell me if it is worth investing the money required to bring it up to a reliable fishing boat motor. Thank you. Norman Ham. (XXX)... Read full answer
I am looking for an honest, knowledgeable outboard boat motor mechanic in the Modesto, Ca. 95350 area. I have a n 18 hp.outboard Johnson "Seahorse" motor. It runs. I would like someone honest to take a look at it and tell me if it is worth investing the money required to bring it up to a reliable fishing boat motor. Thank you. Norman Ham. (XXX) XXX-XXXX

8/11/2012
davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Hi Norman

We are an on line site and cannot have direct contact with the customers. That motor in running condition and great shape is worth maybe $300. They are great motors when everything is working. It is very hard to even get some of the parts for them. How long has it been since it was run? Does it have spark? What are the compressions? You could easily spend over $500 dollars to get it back into working order. So I would say unless you have a sentimental attachment to it that you would be better off getting something newer and more reliable.
davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I looking to buy a project boat. It has a 140 seahorse v4
I looking to buy a project boat. It has a Johnson 140 seahorse v4 outboard moror. The issue I am having is where to check to find out what year the motor is. The owners inherited the boat and have no … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I if I want to purchase a boat what is the thing I should
I if I want to purchase a boat what is the thing I should look out for in an engine or anything else?I am looking for a 18 - 26 foot boat for fishing and waterskiing. Also for going places as well lik… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I am the original owner of a Johnson Seahorse 9-1/2 HP outboard
I am the original owner of a Johnson Seahorse 9-1/2 HP outboard motor Model #9R-72M Serial #J3584107. It's been used only about 200 hours total. It was last used about 15 years ago and worked perfectl… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I HAVE A 1984 SYVAN 18 ALUMINUM FISHING BOAT WITH AN 1984
I HAVE A 1984 SYVAN 18' ALUMINUM FISHING BOAT WITH AN 1984 MARINER - 80 HP 2 CYCLE -( LONG SHAFT) OUTBOARD ON IT.I PURCHASED IT AT AN ESTATE SALE. HAD A MECHANIC FRIEND GO OVER THE MOTOR & TOLD ME IT … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hey Tan-----so out of curiosity, my next question was going
Hey Tan-----so out of curiosity, my next question was going to be what to look for, and how old I can go to get good reliability in an Outboard. My next boat is likely to be either an 80's Whaler Reve… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I would like to buy, for sentimental reasons, a 22hp, super
I would like to buy, for sentimental reasons, a 22hp, super hurricane, engine: in good running condition, never been in salt water (as those shown running on YouTube). They started making them in 1958… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 1998 15HP 2 stroke Johnson outboard, Model J15RECR.
I have a 1998 15HP 2 stroke Johnson outboard, Model J15RECR. It used to get my 3.7 metre (13 feet) tinnie up on the plane with two people aboard, but it will no longer do so. It has also started letti… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I am looking @ a used boat with a 2004 140 hp. johnson outboard,
I am looking @ a used boat with a 2004 140 hp. johnson outboard, is that a reliable motor?… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I have a 17 cobalt u haul with a mercruiser 140hp, the boat
I have a 17' cobalt u haul with a mercruiser 140hp, the boat is crap but the motor is great. I found a 18' wellcraft v haul with a mercruiser 170hp the motor is bad can my 140 swap with the 170?… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Just got back from my Suzuki dealer. I have twin 2008 Suzuki
Just got back from my Suzuki dealer. I have twin 2008 Suzuki 300's on a 2008 29' Twin Vee cat boat. I recently got stranded offshore because I could not crank the motors. Nothing out of the ordinary, … read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Can you tell me anything about GRM Sabre outboards I am looking
Can you tell me anything about GRM Sabre outboards? I am looking for a small motor (4hp or less for my portable folding boat. Thanks, Harry… read more
Greg Robinson
Greg Robinson
Senior service manager,
I am looking at used boat with a 1998 Johnson 150 HP FICT Faststrike
I am looking at used boat with a 1998 Johnson 150 HP FICT Faststrike motor. I have read nothing but horror stories about these motors. The owner swears it is a solid running motor and the boat is in g… read more
Jason
Jason
Stop searching for answers—
i have a 18 foot chris craft boat with a 327 chev engen it
i have a 18 foot chris craft boat with a 327 chev engen it is a 1952 kit boat built by nice boat builders in san rafal ca. it is all wood ,mahagney deck ,it has fiber gless over wood sides and botom,i… read more
Kenny
Kenny
Mercury & Mercruiser Diagnostics,
My last outing one of the three carbs leaked around the bowl
My last outing one of the three carbs leaked around the bowl causing the engine to run very ruff. I assume one or two of the cylinders wasn't getting gas or oil while limping back to the landing which… read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Service Manager/Technician,
I live in Annapolis, MD. Where can I find someone to repair
I live in Annapolis, MD. Where can I find someone to repair a 5 yr old Johnson 110 HP outboard that has fuel injection -- and needs the computer circuits fixed with someone with a laptop with the John… read more
Mike of Pompano Beach
Mike of Pompano Beach
Charter Fleet Maintenance,
What size outboard would you recommend for a cape dory typhoon
What size outboard would you recommend for a cape dory typhoon sailboat. This boat has a full keel, 19.5'length, and weighs 2000 lbsd… read more
Greg Robinson
Greg Robinson
Senior service manager,
I am looking to buy a 1990 blufin boat sports fishing 19 ft.
I am looking to buy a 1990 blufin boat sports fishing 19 ft. It has a 110 outboard with oil injector. Is this a good boat and motor… read more
Dominick
Dominick
Marine Mechanic,
i am thinking about buying a used boat.it is a 1996 18 ft ...
i am thinking about buying a used boat.it is a 1996 18 ft trophy with a outboard 120hp force by mercury marine. i would like to know how prolomatic are these outboard and are parts complicated to find… read more
Larry B.
Larry B.
Marine Service Tech,