Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Is there an egr valve on the volvo penta inboard engine

Hello Is there an egr valve...
Hello
Is there an egr valve on the volvo penta inboard engine model GXI-E 5.0 and where is it located.
Thanks
Les
7/23/2012
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Les,

I know the answer, but instead of simply giving you a "yes or no" type answer. I'm going to try to make this worth your money here. Whats going on with the engine?

--Jason

Jason
The engine fell on its face while pulling a tube. Full throttle feels like half, noticed black soot in water. Engine runs and starts fine but doesn't have full power.

Gotcha,

Well, no EGR valve on these engines, so that settles that part of the question.

Now are you looking to do some troubleshooting on this yourself?

I would prefer to diagnose the problem my self.

Gotcha,

One of the biggest things you see especially with boats that do alot of watersports/towing ect. Is for the engine to tulip its valves when it is under a tow load. If this happened, that would give you low compression in 1 or more cylinders. And if you do that low compression, that is going to give you every symptom you have right now. The very first thing you will want to is a compression test on the engine. Start with that, and report back with your numbers, and we can go from here.

--Jason

Thanks for now I'll get back to you later.
Les

Your very welcome Les. Take your time, as there are no time limits here. You can post back when your ready.

Best,

Jason

Jason
I did the compression check and readings were from 146psi to 150.
To me the boat felt like it went into limp mode or something. The next thing I'll check is fuel rail pressure.
Thanks
Les

Les,

Did you get any alarms? Does the alarm system work, do you get a self check beep every time you turn the key to run?

Also, when you check your fuel pressure, check your dropdown/leakage as well. Hook up the fuel pressure gauge and cycle the key on and off (but do not start yet) and record your peak pressure. Then let the gauge sit for 10 minutes and watch it. See how quickly it drops down. It should not drop more than 2 to 3 psi every couple of minutes, but let me know what you find.

Best,

Jason

Jason

My latest results yielded peak pressure 58psi after ignition off went to 50psi ten minutes later down to 24psi. Here's the kicker went to start motor to see rail pressure and she wouldn't fire up. Pulled off fuel filter to see if there's any water but no separation looks OK. Tomorrow I'll look into ignition see what I have for spark if any, maybe ignition module.
Thanks again
Les

Les,

Either the fuel injectors are leaking down, or the fuel pressure regulator is not holding (or both). Your results just proved that. Given that you had black soot I would lean towards the injectors. There is a way to isolate the fuel pressure regulator and rule that out, but it is a special factory tool that your not going to have. Basically it is a high pressure hose with a shutoff valve in it that you install on the return side to the fuel pump.

More than likely the engine did not start because the injectors leaked down on you, and simply flooded the engine out. At this point it would be safe to pull the injectors out and send them out to a shop that has the machine to service injectors, and have them flow tested and cleaned. I use Flagship Marine, in Punta Gorda FL. They have been cleaning injectors near forever, and have all the latest equipment to do it.

.

That is where you stand right now.

Feel free to post back with any questions

Best,

Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic