Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have an 2007 Azure, with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-H motor. It

was running fine, stopped to...
I have an 2007 Azure, with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-H motor. It was running fine, stopped to pick up a skier and turned off engine. When starting it coughed and sputtered for 10 sec and died. Cranks just fine. All fuses are good. Both the high and low pressure fuel pumps are working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
7/11/2012
Abiorca
Abiorca, Marine Mechanic
Did you check for spark yet?
No
Check for spark with a spark tester from the auto store

It could be a bad coil
Ok, are there any inline fuses that are not in the fuse box or neutral safety switches that i can check. A wiring diagram would be nice.
No but with key on the purple wire should have 12v to the coil
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that a shot. Smile
Let me know then next step is to test ignition with a meter

We will get it running for you
Ok, that won't happen until tomorrow. You've got the old mechanic juices flowing again.
Good it will make you feel better with a beer on the water
Smile
Reply to this after the test because it locks me out to help others
There's no spark to the plugs. Checked for 12V to the coil nothing.
Ok see if therevis 12v to the purple on back of the key switch
Ok, the dash has to come out. anything else while I'm in there?
Yes the red is 12v positive

The yellow red is the starter wire, only has power when you use the key to start

If thise sre good we know the Problem is on the motor snd not the boat
Thanks I'll test tomorrow.
Ok
It's my understanding that if i leave feedback before the problem is resolved that the question will be over. I have to drive 40 min to the boat between questions. I couldn't make it out to the boat yesterday. This is why I keep asking leading questions. The more information that you give me the less trips until the problem is solved. So far I think that your responses have been very quick with great (but short) answers. I would very much like to keep this thread open and not worry about feedback until the problem is solved.
Yes there is 12V to the purple wire on the ignition switch.
Relist: Other.
No answer
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi there,

I'm Jason, I'm one of the top experts here. I am also Volvo gas and diesel certified. Let me see if I can save you some time here. Do you have a scan tool for the engine?

No I don't

Well, here is where you are at. And I'm giving you this as a freebie here, as a courtesy, and to save you some time.

You either need to buy a scan tool. Or hire a guy/bring it into a dealer where they have a scan tool. These are electronically controlled engines, with cam and crank sensors, a computor, and a host of other sensors. You can not fix these by taking a voltmeter and sticking it on certain color wires. All you can do with out a scan tool is check your fuses, and thats about it. Everything else has to be checked via the scan tool. Now if you want to buy a scan tool I can make a reccomendation if you still want to DIY it. They run about 400 bucks for a basic one, and you will need another 60 bucks in adaptors for it. But your not going to fix this without a scan tool. Not unless you throw a dart at the engine, the dart hits a sensor, you replace that sensor and end up being the luckiest man in the world.

--Jason

Jason, thank you! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I've got a dart board down the hall, I'm feeling lucky on this Friday the 13th.
I'll take it into the shop, hopefully I'll get it back before the end of the summer. I'm in the PNW, where there's only 2 weeks of summer.
On that note I think that I will take that recommendation on that scan tool.
Thanks again for your quick response and knowledge.

I'm sorry the other guy wasted your time. Thats why I posted what i did as a freebie. I have a 2k dollar all aluminum laptop that you can throw across a concrete floor and it will still work. Loaded on that I have a few thousand bucks worth of diagnostic software, and adaptors to make it all work. I'm volvo certified, have a degree in marine technology, and even I can not fix it without my laptop.

.

If your planning on keeping the boat a few years, and your handy, the scan tool is the best thing you can buy. What you want to get is the Techmate by Rinda. Here is a link to it.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm#techmate

That tool will do everything my laptop does. the only downside to it is that it only displays 1 line of data at a time, so it is slower to work with. But it is still a full function scan tool. The scan tool runs 400 bucks. You order them through Rinda directly, just order it over the phone. You do not have to be a dealer to buy one. Rinda's phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and here is a link to their contact page.

http://www.rinda.com/company.htm

.

Now when you talk to the ladies on the phone, tell them you need the Techmate. And then ask them which adaptor you need for your engine. Just give them your engine model number and they will get you the correct adaptor for it.

.

PNW... Is that Pacific North West? Washinton state or Oregon.. that area?

.

Post back with any questions

Best,

Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Great, as a kid I worked as a mechanic while putting myself through school. Everything's different but, the same. I'm in Tacoma Wa. the boat is in Vaughn Bay. The weather is perfect around 75 to 80 degrees. I hope that it will last.
Thanks for all your help and the info. I'll put it to good use. You get really high marks.

I'm in SW Florida. It will be 95F here every day until october, then spring starts. And really thats boating season. We have the opposite problem down here. If you go out in the morning (and you have to) it is just to hot to say out past noon or 1. Then you have to worry about the thunderstorms in the afternoon. Our winter is really spring. When your winter is actually winter.

Either way, you are very welcome. Good luck with everything! And if you ever need me in the future, just pop my name in the question(Jason) and I will be sure to see it.

Best,

Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic