Boat

My 1989 Force 125 wont start. Plenty of fuel, appears to be…

Customer Question
My 1989 Force 125 won't...
My 1989 Force 125 won't start. Plenty of fuel, appears to be no spark. Anyway of checking spark?... Read full answer
My 1989 Force 125 won't start. Plenty of fuel, appears to be no spark. Anyway of checking spark?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Boat
6/26/2012
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 7 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Hi, My name isXXXXX you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
What you do to check for spark is remove the spark plugs, push the plug wires back on the top of the plugs and hold the threaded part of the spark plug firmly against a bare metal area on the engine block.
Crank it over watching the tip for spark.
Or you can get inline spark testers for $4 each at any auto parts store.
They go between the wire and the plug and flash orange when there's spark.
They look like this.
graphic
I tried the removed spark plug and did not see a spark, what next?
from the switch box is a black/yellow wire that goes to the console.
That's a kill wire.
Disconnect it and check for spark again.
I'm at work now and will try this evening. How do I get back to you?
If you provided an email when you signed up you'll have an email with a link to this thread.
10-4. I'll be in touch after I try the kill wire disconnect.
Ok.

i am at home now, e-mail is [email protected].

I disconnected the wire and the motor would not turn over at all.

Still no spark I bought the tester

That doesn't make any sense.
Do you have a safety tether kill switch on the boat?
yes I do, with wistle attached
The wire to it is what you want disconnected.
But you want to disconnect it at the switch box.
When there's no spark on any cylinder it's usually the key switch or the kill switch.
click here for some wiring troubleshooting info.
is the switch box located at the motor? or at the throttle?, consol?
The switchbox is on the motor you should have two of them.
All the wires from the trigger come down to the switchboxes.
Then to the ignition coils.
The kill circuit is tied into the switch boxes.
I do.... The only yellow/black wire is on the port side, attached to the ignition block. If i remove the yellow/black from that block, I get nothing. The starter doesn't click move or anything. I do notice that the electric choke works intermitently. Are there selenoids, switches or other items that create spark? Or is the Blue boxes the spark plug wires are attached to? The starter seems to be OK, turns each time, just doesn't fire????
yeah you got me. I don't know why it would do that.
I'll opt out and see if someone else can help you that knows these better than I do.
thanks, could it be the switch, if the starter engages?
No the starter and the kill circuit are supposed to be totally separate.
The engine should still turn over regardless if the switchbox is disconnected or not from the kill switch.
any way o9f checking coils?
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 6 years ago
Yes you can test them with an ohm meter.
The specs are

0.2-1.0 Primary

800-1100 Secondary

You can also test the trigger wires

You should get 800 to 1400 ohms on them.

Hey,
I found that I was wrong on the trigger test it's 48-52 ohms
all these specs chec out. What about the modules? Any way of checking them? I think it's the last step. I replaced baterry just cuz!
Not that I know of .
Try one more thing. Disconnect the regulator and see if it gains spark.
The regulator? what's it look like? Like an old starter selenoid?
No it's about 1/2 in thick and about 3 in x 3 in square piece with I think 3 wires coming out of it.
i dont see any 3 x 3 box anywhere
On the left side right behind the starter it has 3 or 4 wires to it.
there is a 1 x 1 box half inch thick is that it? disconnect which wire(s)?
all of them
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 1989 force 125 just replaced spark plugs and all.
I have a 1989 force 125 just replaced spark plugs and all. Only the 2nd cylinder is getting spark. The other 3 have no fire. Could it be the rectifier or kill switch wires or maybe the stator… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Second opinion] I have a 1989 force 125 just replaced spark
Second opinion] I have a 1989 force 125 just replaced spark plugs and all. Only the 2nd cylinder is getting spark. The other 3 have no fire. Could it be the rectifier or kill switch wires or maybe the… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
1989 Johnson 88spl, new fuel pump, new fuel lines ,new water
1989 Johnson 88spl, new fuel pump, new fuel lines ,new water pump, new champion ql77jc4 plugs, fresh fuel, motor starts and idles great, runs with plenty of power for the first half hour then stops li… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 88 125 force outboard that won't start. It wants to
I have a 88 125 force outboard that won't start. It wants to start but instead floods. We did a spark plug test and realized only the# ***** spark plug is sparking and the other 3 are not. Do u think … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I bought another boat and am trying to decide if I should swap
I bought another boat and am trying to decide if I should swap motors. I have a 17ft 1996 Targa that I plan on keeping but it has a 96 120 Force. I have had it for a couple of years and runs fine. But… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
125 (1995) Mercury outboard wont start - Symptoms: 1.
125 (1995) Mercury outboard won't start - Symptoms: 1. Plenty of gasoline on plugs and acutally spuing out exhaust. 2. Fires momentarily, but stops. Fires the most at advanced throttle 3. Gasoline and… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 2005 VX110 Waverunner that will not run reliably beyond
I have a 2005 VX110 Waverunner that will not run reliably beyond starting... Running for a short while and then quitting. After this I can get it to repeatedly start and then quit. There are no warnin… read more
Kenny O.
Kenny O.
force 125 maine engine will not start had set for ten years.
force 125 maine engine will not start had set for ten years. Wil run without spark plugs. howver, will not turnover with spark plugs under compression.… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hi there I have a 16 baylinner that had an 85 force on it.
Hi there I have a 16' baylinner that had an 85 force on it. I replaced it with a 125 force. The 85 hp is an 1985 and the 125 hp is 1989. The mid section is longer on the 125 than the 85. Can I interch… read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
I have a 1989 Force 125 hp Model 1251F8A on same year VIP 17
I have a 1989 Force 125 hp Model 1251F8A on same year VIP 17' boat They are servral hours away. I am looking at a used mercury 225hp with a 25" shaft. Can you tell me the shaft length on the force.Or … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have an 89 (i think) 150 EFI mercury outboard that wont
I have an 89 (i think) 150 EFI mercury outboard that won't start. It ran fine, and in the middle of the lake it just stopped and wouldn't run. I tried to start it, it sputtered a little, then nothing.… read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
I have a force 125 HP outboard the first 2 cly have no power.
I have a force 125 HP outboard the first 2 cly have no power. only runs on the the bottom 2. I have tried swiched all the coils and cdi boxs still runs the same. did a compression check has 130 on all… read more
Whitecap36
Whitecap36
Service Manager/Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Have a Maxum 2300 SC/5.0 L MerCruiser Alpha I sterndrive(220
Have a Maxum 2300 SC/5.0 L MerCruiser Alpha I sterndrive(220 hp)/Cruising @ 3000rpm heard a "pop" like sound/engine immediately shut down/afterburn smell(? assumed from carb flash surpressor or exhaus… read more
Dominick
Dominick
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 125 force outboard motor Model #1251x7a serial#2395
I have a 125 force outboard motor Model #1251x7a serial#2395 its getting gas carbs are clean. It will crank all day long just cant get it to fire? I thought if i could get the year it was made i might… read more
Whitecap36
Whitecap36
Service Manager/Technician,
i have an 85 hp force outboard my question is the motor will
i have an 85 hp force outboard my question is the motor will not start it turns over but will not run. I have spark to all the plugs but not getting any gas to them. When i tryed to turn it over it wi… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
MarineTechnician,
I need to replace the water pump on a 1989 Force 125. The manual
I need to replace the water pump on a 1989 Force 125. The manual has no torque specifications. Question: What is the tightening torque for the bolts that hold on the lower unit?… read more
Jack
Jack
Marine Technician,
I have a 1989 Force 125 HP outboard. The engine runs great
I have a 1989 Force 125 HP outboard. The engine runs great but sometimes when I shift back to neautral the engine stalls or after it is started in high idle and put back in normal idol it stalls.… read more
Jason Forsberg
Jason Forsberg
Outboard Marine Mechanic,
IS IT OK TO PUT A 225 HP OUTBOARD ON A 19 FOOT BOAT
that had before a 125 hp force, 1989 outboard ; the 225 hp that I pretend to install now is a johnson v6 1990… read more
Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech