Boat

I have a 1975 Evinrude 135 hp. The problem is stalling when…

I have a 1975 Evinrude...
I have a 1975 Evinrude 135 hp. The problem is stalling when I go to full throttle. I can back off the throttle and then feather it until engine recovers and it gain rpms. Then it takes off and runs great.

Recently
New plugs
new wires
Fuel pump, inline filter, canister filter, bulb and hoses. I did have some fuel line leaks... Read full answer

Recently
New plugs
new wires
Fuel pump, inline filter, canister filter, bulb and hoses. I did have some fuel line leaks that I fixed an now have a solid bulb.

haven't done carbs yet. Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks,
Greg
6/26/2012
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

There are a few things that can cause a problem like yours, all fuel delivery.
If you are running a cannister type water separating fuel filter you don't need and shouldn't use another filter. Too many filters creates a higher restriction.

If you have a built in tank, remove the anti-siphon valve in the hose barb if equipped.

Basically remove any restrictions. If the fuel line is old, replace it.

You said you did something to the fuel pump. Did you replace it or rebuild it? The fuel pump must be capable of pulling enough fuel through to the engine. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, put it between the pump and carbs and see if you have good steady pressure.

Check the inlet needles in the carbs and the float levels. If the levels are off it will not allow enough fuel in the bowls to run properly at wide open throttle. Set the float level so the float is parallel with the carb body held upside down.

Try or check these and let me know what you find.
Thanks
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

Hi Jeff,

I have finally got around to rebuilding the carbs. I followed your input above and have one question on the float adjustment.

I turned the carb body upside down and the float is definitely not parallel with the body. So do I use needle nose pliers and bend the metal tab that is connected to the front of the float?

Hesitant to damage the needle and seat by stressing this too much.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg you bend the tab that attaches to the float and touches the inlet needle. The small tab on the back side controls the drop, but you most likely won't have to worry and out that.
Also check that the carbs are not opening up too soon. If the carbs open before the timing is advanced enough then the engine will bog.

Jeff,

Good to go on the floats, they are parallel to the carb body--floats seem very close to parallel visually.

Can you help with some details on the timing settings? I knew this could be a potential contributor to the bogging. Any reference materials for checking this setting? Thanks,

There should be a timing decal on the engine with the wide open timing. You set this with the lower unit in the water, in gear. Just back the boat into the water until the lower unit is just covered.
Put an inductive timing light on the engine. Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle arm. This way you can control the throttle from the engine. Put it in gear and briefly run it to full throttle just long enough to check the timing. If no one has messed with the timing it should be very close.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your previous reply above. After reinstalling the carbs a week ago, I attempted to start the engine this weekend. The motor cranks but there is absolutly no start, not even a sputter.

I wondered if the carbs, having no fuel in them, caused this.

The primer bulb is rock hard.

I checked the plugs and also the choke. ok

The rebuild of the carbs was mostly cleaning w carb cleaner. Could the floats be in upside down?

The motor does not sound like it will start?

Thanks,

Greg

The floats can't be installed upside down and adjusted correctly.
Remove the slotted plug from the side of the float bowl on each carb, squeeze the primer bulb and see if you get fuel coming out. Put paper towels under the carbs and dispose of them safely.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

Thanks Jeff.

Is the slotted plug the screw that covers each of the low speed orifices?

There's one on the side of each carb, 4 total.

Greg

They are down at the bottom and give you access to the HIGH speed jets. Only have to take one out per carb. You want to see if you are getting fuel into the carb.

Jeff,

I removed the high speed jets plugs on each carb and yes there was fuel!

Did not try to start the motor this morning though. Did a visual check of the wiring. I did not disconnect any wiring before working on the carbs but wanted to make sure.

What are your thoughts? Electrical issue?

Thanks,

Greg

If the carbs are full of fuel then lets do a spark test.
Get an inexpensive spark tester from any auto parts store. Set it at 7/16" and check spark on all 4 cylinders.
If no spark on all 4 then remove the black/yellow wire from the power pack, the ignition box with all the wires.
Retest.
Post back what you get.

Jeff,

I completed a spark test yesterday, and have spark at all 4 plugs.

My Stelloc manual leads to doing a Key switch test based on the above positive results.

However, the book recommends removing the No6 wire, the key wire, from the power pack but this wire is a ground wire on my engine.

What would you recommend? Greg

If you remove the black/yellow wire as I posted above that will isolate the key switch and the stop circuit. However if you have spark at all 4 cylinders then the stop circuit is not a problem.
Have you synchronized the engine as detailed in your service manual? If the carb opens too soon it will certainly bog.

Jeff

If you remove the black/yellow wire as I posted above that will isolate the key switch and the stop circuit. However if you have spark at all 4 cylinders then the stop circuit is not a problem. Greg: I did remove the black yellow wire and did have spark!!

Have you synchronized the engine as detailed in your service manual? If the carb opens too soon it will certainly bog. Greg: I haven't been able to start the engine since rebuilding the carbs. I've been wanting to get on the water to check the performance.

Now that the black/yellow wire test is complete is the electrical question resovled. Engine cranks but will not start. Nothing happens when cranking. Thanks,

Greg

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Have a 1995 60 hp Mercury motor. Have had the carbs gone through,
Have a 1995 60 hp Mercury motor. Have had the carbs gone through, rebuilt the fuel pump, have new spin on fuel filter, new gas lines, bulb , and tank, plus new gas. It is on a 18 foot pontoon boat. To… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1979 Johnson seahorse 70 HP Model 70el79r that bogs
I have a 1979 Johnson seahorse 70 HP Model 70el79r that bogs down when in gear. motor will not run past 2600 RPMS. feels like I'm dragging the ancor. I've done the the following but it didn't help. Fr… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2002 Johnson 150 two stroke. It seems to take forever
I have a 2002 Johnson 150 two stroke. It seems to take forever to prime with the bulb. Also has a 4 stroke troller on it and the bulb primes fine. New primer bulb on the 150. It starts hard, lots of c… read more
Evinrude/Johnson
Evinrude/Johnson
Evinrude/Johnson marine technician,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 28 hp Johnson outboard. The motor starts but quickly
I have a 28 hp Johnson outboard. The motor starts but quickly shuts off like it's not getting fuel. Does it have a filter and where is it located?… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
1975 evinrude 115 hp compression 106 to 115 starts and idles
1975 evinrude 115 hp compression 106 to 115 starts and idles perfect but want open up carbs have been rebuilt squeeze primor bulb while going it will open up and screem could it be vacum problem or wh… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
I have a mercury 200 hp carbureted engine on a 22Walk Proline
I have a mercury 200 hp carbureted engine on a 22Walk Proline Walkaround. This summer the engine stalled. Engine starts initially and will operate at a slow speed (approx 6knts) but when trying to get… read more
KKassel
KKassel
OWNER,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 2005 merc optimax 135 hp. While accelerating, Fuel
I have a 2005 merc optimax 135 hp. While accelerating, Fuel consumption drops right at about 4300 rpm and engine bogs down and rpms fall. When I pull back on the throttle, it recovers. So far, I have … read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
I have an Evinrude 28SP that is a bugger to start recently.
I have an Evinrude 28SP that is a bugger to start recently. I've confirmed the gas is good by running another engine off the tank. I've replaced the plugs. Once it eventually starts it stalls when I k… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Have 1975 Evinrude 135 HP O/B. Have gone thru both carbs.
Have 1975 Evinrude 135 HP O/B. Have gone thru both carbs. twice and cleaned them as best as i think i know how. Motor will throttle up to 50-60% then as i push the throttle it will nose over. I have s… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2003 Mercury 90 hp motor that runs fine until you
I have a 2003 Mercury 90 hp motor that runs fine until you reach 4300 to 4500 rpm's then it's like you shut the switch off but if you pull the throttle back to around 3500 rpm's it take right off and … read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
put new powerhead on my 140 hp 1987 looper due to fuel restriction
put new powerhead on my 140 hp 1987 looper due to fuel restriction on big tank, w/ new powerhead, have same idle, run issues. running 6gal portable tank w/ double oil. oil on vro bypassed!!!! will run… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Mid 80s 70 HP Evinrude VRO - starts fine, idles fine, goes
Mid 80's 70 HP Evinrude VRO - starts fine, idles fine, goes forward and reverse at low speed fine, will not come up to speed (won't go over 7mph). Changed fuel line, ball, and inline fuel filter. Chan… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 1975 Evinrude 6 hp (Fisherman, made in Belgium). At
I have a 1975 Evinrude 6 hp (Fisherman, made in Belgium). At slow speed (and idle) it works well even if with some pops. When I give full throttle it does not reach full rpm. After some time (few seco… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
1970 Evinrude Lark 40 HP. Starts great, runs smooth, but after
1970 Evinrude Lark 40 HP. Starts great, runs smooth, but after about 5 minutes, seems to not be getting gas. Does this point to a possible defective fuel tank, or hose?… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
i purchased a 1994 stratos with a 250 hp inline 6 out board
i purchased a 1994 stratos with a 250 hp inline 6 out board motor, it has not seen the water in 8 years i am looking for some tips, does the fuel tank need to be flushed and with what or just drained … read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
just bought a boat with a 1997 Evinrude 115 HP oceanpro, had
just bought a boat with a 1997 Evinrude 115 HP oceanpro, had it out twice and both times could not get past 2500 RPMs. After the first time I pulled the thermostats and put new plugs in, still the sam… read more
Dominick
Dominick
Marine Mechanic,
when you open the throttle the seadoo bogs down and will only
when you open the throttle the seadoo bogs down and will only go about 20 mph. We have changed the gas, plugs, and adjusted the carbs. Any other suggestions?… read more
Joe
Joe
Owner Kingsland Auto & Marine Services,
I have a 1973 model Evinrude 135 hp outboard engine. I recently
I have a 1973 model Evinrude 135 hp outboard engine. I recently had the lower end rebuilt and the carb's rebuilt. The engine runs great, but it dies when it is just started. I think the idle needs set… read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,