Boat

I have a Susuki 40 HP 4 cycle outboard with about 400 hours…

I have a Susuki 40...
I have a Susuki 40 HP 4 cycle outboard with about 400 hours on it at most. It is a 2000 model and I am see some emulsification in the engine oil suggesting that water is getting into the oil. Any suggestions on the likely problem?... Read full answer
I have a Susuki 40 HP 4 cycle outboard with about 400 hours on it at most. It is a 2000 model and I am see some emulsification in the engine oil suggesting that water is getting into the oil. Any suggestions on the likely problem?
6/26/2012
Abiorca
Abiorca, Marine Mechanic
Have you done a leak down test yet
No. What is that?
It will tell you where the water is coming in from

What it does is fill the cylinders full of air, any leak the air will go out of it and tell you where the problem is
Abiorca
Abiorca, Marine Mechanic
OK, I will see if the boat yard did that test, do you have access to notices from Suzuki that might indicate if there is information from the manufacturer on this type of problem?
yes i can look them up
Great that would be helpful
i need the serial number

The
Outboard serial number is: 031595 Model Number: DF 40 TLY
Purchase date: 3/19/2000

thanks
I did not see an answer after I sent you the engine serial number. You were going to check on any manufacturer notices related to my issue.
Yes thats strange it never posted

there is nothing about the issues
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 2003 susuki 90 hp outboard will not start, turns over
my 2003 susuki 90 hp outboard will not start, turns over great and runs sometimes for a minute before quiting; New plugs, fresh gas, new main fuel line, fuel filter and drained all fuel from engine. S… read more
Blake P
Blake P
Certified RV & Marine Technician,
I am a marine surveyor investigating the catastrophic
good morning Pearl, I am a marine surveyor investigating the catastrophic failure of a 2001 250 hp Yamaha outboard motor. … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a Gemini MC150 catamaran model year 2002 with a
I have a Gemini MC150 catamaran model year 2002 with a Westerbeke 27HP (diesel) with a Siluette leg and I'm contemplating to re-engine with a Tohatsu 40 HP 2 stroke mounted in a bracket outboard. I kn… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 225 Verado with 300 hours. My dealer notes emulsification
I have a 225 Verado with 300 hours. My dealer notes emulsification of the oil around the filler cap (but no evident free water) - I keep the boat in fresh water at a dock for about 5 months a year, fo… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
IN MAY 2014, I TOOK A TRIP TO PARRY SOUND,ONTARIO TO DO SOME
IN MAY 2014, I TOOK A TRIP TO PARRY SOUND,ONTARIO TO DO SOME FISHING I OWN A 40 HP 2001 4 STROKE CARB OUTBOARD. THE TOP TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER WAS 40 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT. I FISHED TROLLING FOR 7 DAYS… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have two outboard motors on my boat and I am seeking instruction
I have two outboard motors on my boat and I am seeking instruction on how to winterize these for winter in South Dakota. I am also looking for instruction on any precausions I should observe as I plan… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 1995 mercury 40 hp outboard 4 cylinder motor with
I have a 1995 mercury 40 hp outboard 4 cylinder motor with electric start on my 24' pontoon boat. I did not know what type of oil to add to the oil tank for injecting the motor so I added about 3 ounc… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2000 evinrude 200 hp outboard motor that the "No Oil"
I have a 2000 evinrude 200 hp outboard motor that the "No Oil" light comes on after the engine has been run for 10 to 20 minutes. I shut it down quickly and then restart it and the "No Oil" light stay… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
What type oil do I use for a 140 horse 4 stroke susuki outboard?
What type oil do I use for a 140 horse 4 stroke susuki outboard? Where is the oil go into engine?… read more
Abiorca
Abiorca
Marine Mechanic,
My 55 HP Suzuki outboard motor wont lift or lower whenI use
My 55 HP Suzuki outboard motor won't lift or lower whenI use the power tilt mechanism. Help! Richard Mayer [email protected]… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2001, 40 hp suzski 4 stroke outboard. Low hours. The
I have a 2001, 40 hp suzski 4 stroke outboard. Low hours. The oil light starting blinking so I checked the oil and it was over filled. It was not over full the last time I checked. The oil looked like… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
!)I have a 2000 40 hp 4 stroke Mercury outboard model # XXXXX
!)I have a 2000 40 hp 4 stroke Mercury outboard model # XXXXX 4STR. It is a tiller control and manual start. It has maybe 20 hours on it total. Question: can this engine be retro fitted into an electr… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 1998 130 hp. 2-cycle outboard (model # E130TLECE)
I have a 1998 130 hp. 2-cycle outboard (model # XXXXX) on a '98 Stratos f & s that I bought earlier this summer. Boat was garaged kept, seems to be well maintained w/low hours. Previous owner recently… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Need to know if Outboard Motor, 15 HP, model J15EENM, sn
Need to know if Johnson Outboard Motor, 15 HP, model J15EENM, sn Go3630673 Is a 2, 3 or 4 cycle engine. What oil is needed to mix with gas and at what ration.… read more
tom
tom
outboard mechanic,
I have a 2005 honda 40HP 4 stroke outboard. It has foam in
I have a 2005 honda 40HP 4 stroke outboard. It has foam in the spout where you fill the oil and inside the oil cap. Is this normal? The guy I bought it from says yes, but I don't trust his anwer.… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I have a 15 ft Fisher boat- 1998- 16 ft- I like the boat,
I have a 15 ft Fisher boat- 1998- 16 ft- I like the boat, but it it underpowered- has a 98 40 HP Force motor with wheel steering and a throttle/gear control. The boat is rated at 75 HP max.. I would l… read more
russ
russ
Need help in determining if what is wrong is a lost cause.
Need help in determining if what is wrong is a lost cause. bought a boat with a 115 hp suzuki outboard. have been doing some work on the inside and getting ready for the lake in early spring. last wee… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 22Ft. Odyssey 2000 pontoon boat, Equipped with a ...
I have a 22Ft. Odyssey 2000 pontoon boat, Equipped with a year 2000 Johnson 50 HP Outboard (J50PLSSM). I am about to replace this motor with an Evinrude 90 HP. However it seems to me, that the rear en… read more
Scott
Scott
Marine technician,