Boat

I tested my 1996 seadoo challenger yesterday after sitting…

I tested my 1996 seadoo...
I tested my 1996 seadoo challenger yesterday after sitting for two years after a few drops of starting fluid she fired right up; however when placed in the water there was excessive smoke and booging of the engine finally when I was able to give it more throttle without bogging down or shutting down I could only get it up to approx 10mph. When I... Read full answer
I tested my 1996 seadoo challenger yesterday after sitting for two years after a few drops of starting fluid she fired right up; however when placed in the water there was excessive smoke and booging of the engine finally when I was able to give it more throttle without bogging down or shutting down I could only get it up to approx 10mph. When I pulled up to shore I lifted the back cover and it was full of water.

1. Did the water come from several attempts of trying to start the unit.

2. Should I attempt to launch the boat againg
6/25/2012
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Hi, My name is Jeremy. Thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
The smoke could be from an exhaust leak. That could also be where the water is coming from.
What I would do is back the boat into the water and leave it on the trailer.
Fire it up and run it while watching inside the engine compartment for the water.
If it filled up that fast on you, the water leak should be pretty obvious.

Once you do get it to stop leaking and running good. Take it easy.
Old gas will ruin your engine.
If you have the ability, I would siphon it out and refill with fresh gas and add some oil to the gas to help lubricate the pistons.
2 year old fuel has no octane rating left and it will detonate and melt the pistons if you're not carefull.
I DISCOVERED it is leaking around my driveshaft what is that going to take to repair it?
Ok.
What you need to do is get new parts to help seal this back up.
It's a pretty poor design but it's what we have to deal with.
Click Here
You need number 7, 8, 9, 10, and 19
3 o-rings, a carbon ring, bellow, and the stainless carrier.
This is what's letting the water in and replacing it is the only thing you can do to fix it.
You will have to remove the pump to get the drive shaft out.
Take a hammer and tap the carrier back like in the picture to expose the metal ring that's in the groove holding it in place.
Remove the ring and the drive shaft will pull out and you can change out all the parts.

I was just checking in to see if everything was going ok and if my answer was of any help to you.

Let me know if you need any further help!

Thanks
Jeremy
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
2007 Sea Doo Challenger 180. Bought it used, with only 41
2007 Sea Doo Challenger 180. Bought it used, with only 41 hrs on engine. First launch, engine started and ran fine at idle. Upon accelerating, around 4000 rpm, the audible alarm activated and fault di… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I HAVE A 2015 BASS TRACKER 17FT W/MERC 60 HP I HAVE USED THE
I HAVE A 2015 BASS TRACKER 17FT W/MERC 60 HP I HAVE USED THE BOAT MANY TIMES LAST YEAR IN SANDY HOOK AREA AND THE BOAT HANDLED VERY NICE EVEN IN ROUGH WEATHER THIS YEAR I WENT FLUKING A FEW TIMES AND … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Jeff I have a 2003 seadoo challenger 1800 mercury v6 240
Hi Jeff I have a 2003 seadoo challenger 1800 mercury v6 240 efi v6 last week the boat was in the water for atleast 10 minutes then it bogged out I removed it from the water and took it home ran with t… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
Stop searching for answers—
I just bought a 97 Seadoo Challenger HSP110 yesterday. I brought
I just bought a 97 Seadoo Challenger HSP110 yesterday. I brought it home from over 2 hours away and put it into water. I was told the engine was rebuilt last year and there is a warranty through rotax… read more
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
MC / Pwc Shop Owner,
I have a 2001 Seadoo Challenger with the merc. 240 m2. I have
I have a 2001 Seadoo Challenger with the merc. 240 m2. I have had it "serviced" at the authorized dealer only for the problem to continue. It starts fine out of the water. But in the water, it is hard… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a 2001 Seadoo challenger 1800 with a 240 EFI Mercury.
I have a 2001 Seadoo challenger 1800 with a 240 EFI Mercury. It sat for the last 3 yrs. I started it up (at home) yesterday with much ease. Took it out on the water to day and ran it for a couple hour… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Im currently fixing my 1996 Seadoo Challenger with 787 carborated
I'm currently fixing my 1996 Seadoo Challenger with 787 carborated rotax engine. After I finished assembling the engine it was able to start easily and run on a low RPM smoothly. If I increase the RPM… read more
I have a Yanmar 4JH3/HTE in my Uniflight Salty Pup. I just
I have a Yanmar 4JH3/HTE in my Uniflight Salty Pup. I just bought this boat and ran it today for the first time. The engine started right up and seemed to run well. After she was warmed up, I tried to… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
my 1979 seadoo challenger starts ok both engines run fine for
my 1979 seadoo challenger starts ok both engines run fine for first 10 minutes. Then the boat slows down to a crawl after may be 15 mins in the water. The boat seems to get lower in the water and will… read more
KKassel
KKassel
OWNER,
I have a 1988 350 magnum, stored over winter in a heated garage.
I have a 1988 350 magnum, stored over winter in a heated garage. Brought it out last week in the driveway, hooked it up, fired it up, ran great. Turned it off, checked my fluid levels, all perfect. Dr… read more
Malta Tech
Malta Tech
Marine Tech ,
I have a 07 24Nauticstar w/250 yamaha 2 stroke. I will be
I have a 07 24'Nauticstar w/250 yamaha 2 stroke. I will be running along and the boat will bog down. After a few seconds, it will jump back up. I asked for help yesterday and the mechanic suggested th… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 454 Mag B-3 in a 1996 Crownline 225 BR. Today I had
I have a 454 Mag B-3 in a 1996 Crownline 225 BR. Today I had a problem after runnig for about an hour, I shut down as we beached the boat. I wanted to restart and pull up a bit more, but could not get… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
Stop searching for answers—
2008 Seadoo GTI SE 130, After approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours
2008 Seadoo GTI SE 130, After approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours of riding, this machine started blowing white smoke. After we discovered that the Oil cap was left off and oil shot out of the spout into t… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
Hello! I have a 2005 SeaDoo Challenger. When the marina winterized
Hello! I have a 2005 SeaDoo Challenger. When the marina "winterized" the craft, they admitted this spring to having "over fogged" the engine. Three sets of plugs later and a WHOLE bunch of aggravation… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
MarineTechnician,
I have a 1996 seadoo jet boat. It was running just fine, then
I have a 1996 seadoo jet boat. It was running just fine, then suddenly it just bogged down to a crawl. I ran the bilge pump so I know it's not full of water. It will idle and go slowly just fine. But … read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
MarineTechnician,
we have a 1999 evinrude 50 hp it runs with ear muffs on but
we have a 1999 evinrude 50 hp it runs with ear muffs on but when in water it bogs down and dies then finally started and ran back to shore any suggestions… read more
Steve Sr.
Steve Sr.
No Title,
I was trolling with my seadoo jet boat today when I heard a
I was trolling with my seadoo jet boat today when I heard a pop from the starboard side of the boat. I then tried to give the boat a little throttle and the starboard side of the boat vibrated loudly.… read more
Pappy's Sales and Service
Pappy's Sales and Service
How to change fuel filter on a 1996 seadoo sportster jet boa
i have a 1996 seadoo sportster jet boat i was out on the water yesterday and it kept bogging down had a hard time getting to full speed it sputtered alot then it just shut down and now u can here it c… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
Rigger, Diagnostician,