Boat

Hi TanTook the boat out today I got 3900-3950rpm top end,

Hi Tan Took the boat...
Hi Tan Took the boat out today I got 3900-3950rpm top end, I think the fuel pump is weak. over trim it still didn't get any better. Going to recheck the timing, remember the old day set timing and then tique it by sound. Where can I purchase a rebuilt kit for my fuel pump all the reseach I did tells me its Carter fuel pump. Also is it... Read full answer
Hi Tan Took the boat out today I got 3900-3950rpm top end, I think the fuel pump is weak. over trim it still didn't get any better. Going to recheck the timing, remember the old day set timing and then tique it by sound. Where can I purchase a rebuilt kit for my fuel pump all the reseach I did tells me its Carter fuel pump. Also is it differcult to take out the speedomemter unit in the outdrive salt water really gums them up
6/17/2012
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hi my name isXXXXX will assist you.

.

There are no fuel pump kits available for marine fuel pumps. You have to replace the pump they do this for liability reasons if the pump leaks after a rebuild it is an explosion hazard so they don't offer a kit. Have you tried running the engine on another fuel source to eliminate a restriction in the boat side fuel system?

.

As for the speedometer in the lower unit all you can do is clean the tube out. At the very front of the drive is a very small hole that gets clogged with debris. Use a very small drill bit to clear the tube then blow out from the speedo line backwards to clear the tube a hose. When using the drill bit use by hand only if you use a power drill you can drill all the way through into the oil cavity of the drive.

How do I set up and alternative fuel source, please let me know. Thinking I just might change the mechanical fuel pump too electric fuel pump what do you think of that idea
Then you have to do some plumbing add some switches and mount an electric fuel pump. That still doesn't mean thats the problem. Just get a Jerry can and some fuel hose disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter connect the hose from the Jerry can and run the boat.

CoolHi Tan,

Just got off the phone with Just Answer try to except your answer they told me that the new software was suppose to have 5 happy face after each answer if your satisfied, for some reason they don't appear on my screen there I.T. people are too call me too straighten out the problem. Give them hell from your end.

jerry

Hi Jerry yeah they screwed things up trying to make more money. You will be able to rate me just be sure to click on the smiley face that how I get paid now. The new system is very confusing.
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
We are having problems with our engine alarm going off when
We are having problems with our engine alarm going off when going slow speeds … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Outdrive on 1988 Stardust Cruiser houseboat comes up when
Outdrive on 1988 Stardust Cruiser houseboat comes up when the boat is put into reverse. I have been told that this is some type of breakaway pin that needs to be replaced. Online forums seem to be ref… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a question about a 1996 Four Winns 238 Vista. It has
I have a question about a 1996 Four Winns 238 Vista. It has a 5.8L OMC motor and a volvo outdrive. I just purchased this boat and want to put in in the water ASAP. Does this boat, engine or outdrive h… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
Rigger, Diagnostician,
Stop searching for answers—
Tan, I have to ask the questions again because I had the subscription
Tan, I have to ask the questions again because I had the subscription messed up. I had a second question I think you may have answered to this one. How hard would it be to replace the transom assembly… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I bought a used 1983 50 HP Johnson outboard that was supposed
I bought a used 1983 50 HP Johnson outboard that was supposed to be in running condition about 4 months ago. I started it today for the first time since I purchased it using muffs. It runs but the exh… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2005 SeaRay Weekender 225 with 5.0L and Bravo 3. I
I have a 2005 SeaRay Weekender 225 with 5.0L and Bravo 3. I just purchased it and it only had 60 hours on it. The bilge was filled with mildew, from sitting, which was easy enough to clean up. (Just g… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
i have a 1990 evinrude 115 hp V4. it dies when I shift it from
i have a 1990 evinrude 115 hp V4. it dies when I shift it from either neutral to forward or reverse. where do i start to fix/… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Tan, Good morning. We have the boat out of the water and
Tan, Good morning. We have the boat out of the water and the outdrive off. We will be installing the reverse locking mechanism on tuesday and performing general maintenance, tubes, oil, lube, propelle… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I am currently looking to purchase a 1995 Formula F-271 SR-1.with
I am currently looking to purchase a 1995 Formula F-271 SR-1.with a single 454Mag, connected to a Bravo 3 outdrive. The boat has 402hrs on it and the engine has 50 hours on it since it was recently re… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I am considering the purchase or a 90 Sea Ray 42 Cruiser
I am considering the purchase or a '90 Sea Ray 42' Cruiser with two MerCruiser Model 7.4L with 1032 hours on them. How many additional hours do I have before a major overhaul? Thank you, John XXXXX XX… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Trim up only works intermitently-several days on and several
Trim up only works intermitently-several days on and several days off. When not working no sound from the pump. 1997 Parker 2530 in salt water NY since new. Original Volvo 5.7 engine and DP outdrive r… read more
KKassel
KKassel
OWNER,
I have a 1983 mercruiser 470. The trim for the outdrive will
I have a 1983 mercruiser 470. The trim for the outdrive will not go down. The trim pump operates but sounds like it stalls or has very little power to operate only while trying to lower the outdrive. … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Stop searching for answers—
I am thinking of buying an inboard boat (1990 Wilker Weekender)
I am thinking of buying an inboard boat (1990 Wilker Weekender) that has a OMC - Cobra - 3 litre engine in it. It has a raw water cooling system and has only been used in fresh water. I would like to … read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
1986 seaswirl 4.3L chevy v6 cobra omc sterndrive, stalling
1986 seaswirl 4.3L chevy v6 cobra omc sterndrive, stalling issue after 10-15 min 3500 rpm.Will restart.Replaced points,condensor, ignition rotor, ign. coil, esa module,rebuilt carb,fuel pump.Engine wi… read more
shane j forrest
shane j forrest
hi I bought a 1994 rinker model 180 with the 3.0litre/lx
hi I bought a 1994 rinker model 180 with the 3.0litre/lx and alpha one outdrive. We took it to minn. in june for fishing. My son noticed the oil in the trim/tilt reservoir was tan in color. The last f… read more
Joe
Joe
Owner Kingsland Auto & Marine Services,
I cannot lower the outdrive unit. The boat has been stored
I cannot lower the outdrive unit. The boat has been stored all winter and just two weekd ago I raised and lowered the outdrive to prepair for changing the lower unit oil. I left it in the raised posit… read more
Mechman45
Mechman45
I recently picked up a 92 Johnson VRO 60. I took it out a couple
I recently picked up a 92 Johnson VRO 60. I took it out a couple of days ago to see how it would run and I ran very poorly. It acted like it had water in the fuel or bad gas. I found that there was wa… read more
TOM
TOM
I have a 2005 Bayliner 245 with a 5.0L Alpha 1 outdrive. Over
I have a 2005 Bayliner 245 with a 5.0L Alpha 1 outdrive. Over the summer I had trouble with the over temp alarm coming on. I took it in and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong but replaced the r… read more
ROCKET
ROCKET
MASTER CERTIFIED TECH,