Boat

Volvo penta 225D: I have a Volvo penta 225d with an aq280 We…

I have a Volvo penta...
I have a Volvo penta 225d with an aq280
We removed the outdrive to rebuild and found that the outer bearing on the drive shaft comming out or the bell housing is no good, it has 2 snap rings in thee one looks to be holding the bearing in, the other looks like it was holding the seal which is no longer theremy question is what is the exact... Read full answer
I have a Volvo penta 225d with an aq280
We removed the outdrive to rebuild and found that the outer bearing on the drive shaft comming out or the bell housing is no good, it has 2 snap rings in thee one looks to be holding the bearing in, the other looks like it was holding the seal which is no longer theremy question is what is the exact method of removing and replaceing the outter bearing. The exploded view looks like it is removed from the stern so there would be no need to remove the engine.
How to get it out and back in with the drive shaft thee is the main question.
Also I am looking for some diagrams to "see" how its done if possible even better a video.
6/17/2012
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic

K.Kergan :

Hi, my name is Kerry

Here is a parts diagram

K.Kergan :

There is another bearing and seal on the inside end of the shaft. To change it, the bell housing needs to come off the engine, if the outer bearing is bad, it's a good idea to change both because the inner is likely not far behind.

It also makes is easy to replace the bearings and seals if the bell housing is off.

K.Kergan :

It is not possible to change the bearing and seal without removing the shaft. The aft bearing is pressed onto the shaft and held with a snap ring. The forward bearing is pressed into the bell housing and held with a snap ring. The shaft and bearing goes in from the aft end and is held in with another snap ring.

Customer: I have that exploded view, that's what I'm going off of. I just want to change the rear the only thing wrong with the rear is the metal that holds the bearings in place and separate them is partially broken. The exploded view showed it going in from the rear.
Customer: Also if it can or can't be done without removeing the engine.
Customer: I need a step by step 1), 2),3), etc. On how to remove and replace the rear bearing.if just the rear can be removed and replaced without engine removal great (how), if not ok ( how)
K.Kergan :

If you can get the outer snap ring off it may be possible to pull the shaft and rear bearing out. It will not be easy and may not be possible to do without damaging the splines on the shaft. They can be very tight, is there any water or corrosion in that area?

K.Kergan :

I always remove the bell housing and pound the shaft out from the forward side.

K.Kergan :

It will come out the back if you can get a good enough grip on the shaft.

Customer: A little rusted because my buddy rammed it into reverse and the reverse lock was damaged so it dell off the boat and was dangleing by the shift cable.
K.Kergan :

Oh, groovy!

Customer: So I'd I understand I can remove the whole shaft from the rear then have the bearing pressed on then replace. Or just get a new shaft and replace with new bearing.
Customer: In either case that sounds better than removing the engine.
K.Kergan :

It will not be easy to get out if it's held in by corrosion. The shaft is in far enough that it's hard to get a good grip on it. I tried this once and gave up on it, I couldn't get it out. You could try though, the one I was working on was pretty tight.

Customer: Ok so what is the process for removing it? In it out of the boat.
K.Kergan :

If it's out of the boat, remove the bell housing. Remove the aft seal and outer snap ring. Pound the shaft out from the motor side of the bell housing, the aft bearing will come out with the shaft. The forward bearing will stay in. If you want to remove it you remove the snap ring that holds it in and drive it out with a long punch from the aft side.

K.Kergan :
K.Kergan :

Put the forward bearing and snap ring in, also the forward seal. Put the new aft bearing on the shaft and install the small snap ring. Put the shaft and bearing in from the rear and install the outer snap ring, then the aft seal.

Reinstall the bell housing and engine.

K.Kergan :

Do you need to know how to release the bell housing from the transom?

K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Just an update on this wanted to give a easy out trick I figured out.
If you break the spacer metal that spaces out the ball bearings you can slip a custom piece of steele with a hook in there and use a slide hammer to pull it out.
Since the bearing guide is pressed onto the shaft there's little worry of it comming out with out the shaft.
The whole removal was done through the aft with plenty of lubrication and without touching the engine.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Noticed grinding noise in outdrive drive area. Suspect
Noticed grinding noise in outdrive drive area. Suspect bearing is the issue so can I access by pulling outdrive? … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I am trying to remove my outdrive Volvo penta 280. It seems
Hello, I am trying to remove my outdrive Volvo penta 280. It seems to be stuck. I removed the large bolts, bellows and anything else that should be removed and nothing. Is there something I am doing w… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Marine Mechanic,
Volvo penta 290 dp post 1992 got the outdrive off and want
volvo penta 290 dp post 1992 got the outdrive off and want to know best way to evaluate condition of outer drive bearing also any way of changing seal and bearing without pulling motor… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Tan i m working on a 1995 volvo penta dp-s now bought boat
hi tan i m working on a 1995 volvo penta dp-s now bought boat last year completly re done and when i remove out drives twin engine one the shaft and snap rings bearing fell out come to find person had… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
where does the cooling water hose connection on a volvo penta
where does the cooling water hose connection on a volvo penta outdrive connect to the engine?… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Marine Mechanic,
do you have to pull the motor to replace the bearings between
do you have to pull the motor to replace the bearings between the motor and outdrive ona 280 volvo penta outdrive .there is awhine to groaing noise at top of outdrive worsens when turnning the wheel… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I need to pull out my boat engine. 1992 Chaparral 2370 with
I need to pull out my boat engine. 1992 Chaparral 2370 with Volvo Penta DP outdrive/350 engine. I have removed the outdrive unit. The primary shaft bearings and seal need to be replaced.… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Marine Mechanic,
Working on a 1995 Volvo - Penta DP C-1. I Have the Drive unit
Working on a 1995 Volvo - Penta DP C-1. I Have the Drive unit off the boat. Needed to change the bellows. Replaced the clamp ring bolts. (they were rusted) wondering how to change the gimbel bearing. … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Isthere a video on the internet which explains how to replace
Isthere a video on the internet which explains how to replace the boots on a volvo Penta outdrive… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
hello....i am missing a screw that goes through the gimbal
hello....i am missing a screw that goes through the gimbal ring and pivot housing on my port side engine on my chap 290? Is this as simple as replacing it with another screw? What perforamnce issues w… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 1982 Bayliner Saragota Sunbridge with a Volvo Penta
I have a 1982 Bayliner Saragota Sunbridge with a Volvo Penta 224D engine and a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive. It sounds like the gimbal bearing is going. The mechanic gave me an estimate of 10 hours becaus… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1992 Sea pro 220 WA... I purchased the boat knowing
I have a 1992 Sea pro 220 WA... I purchased the boat knowing that there is a oil leak, which the oil leaks out of the pan even when it is not started... I am in the progress os attempting to remove th… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
i AM WORKING ON A VOLVO PENTA aq250 STERNDRIVE. I HAVE A BROKEN
i AM WORKING ON A VOLVO PENTA aq250 STERNDRIVE. I HAVE A BROKEN STERNING FORK, SO FAR I HAVE REMOVED THE UNPEER AND MIDDLE HOUSINGS. I NEED TO REMOVE THE WATER TUBE TO SEPERATE THE STERRING FORK FROM … read more
shane j forrest
shane j forrest
I have a 1976 Volvo Penta AQ170B with a 280 outdrive that has
I have a 1976 Volvo Penta AQ170B with a 280 outdrive that has a bad bearing on the drive shaft (spindle). I can not get hold of this shaft to pull it. It is very hard and using visegrips and a hammer … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a Volvo Penta out drive douprop. first time starting
I have a Volvo Penta out drive douprop. first time starting the boat this year it stuck in reverse. I am unable to shift to neutral or forward. I have unhooked the control cable at both ends and still… read more
shane j forrest
shane j forrest
I am removing a 350 cid engine form my Bayline 24. How do
I am removing a 350 cid engine form my Bayline 24. How do I disconnect the engine from the outdrive?… read more
briggs archer
briggs archer
master marine mechanic,
Have a AQ271C 1989 Dp290 outdrive. Changing the drive shaft
Have a AQ271C 1989 Dp290 outdrive. Changing the drive shaft bellwos I found gear oil in it suspect a bad seal or O ring in the upper gear hosuing. I have removed this already. How do I find what needs… read more
mercmastertech
mercmastertech
Service Manager, Master technician,
Technical School
I blew drive shaft bearings on a 85 Bayliner with a AQ225E/275
I blew drive shaft bearings on a '85 Bayliner with a AQ225E/275 Volvo Penta outdrive. Can this be repaired without pulling the motor? Can the drive shaft, bearings, & seal be replaced without removing… read more
Greg Robinson
Greg Robinson
Senior service manager,