Boat

I have a 23 Wellcraft with a new Crusader MPI engine, the…

I have a 23' Wellcraft...
I have a 23' Wellcraft with a new Crusader MPI engine, the engine seems to run great but the boat will not come up on plane, is it possable the out drive is at fault?... Read full answer
I have a 23' Wellcraft with a new Crusader MPI engine, the engine seems to run great but the boat will not come up on plane, is it possable the out drive is at fault?
6/16/2012
James, Marine Mechanic

READ THIS You will be asked to rate me and be told a rating of 3 or more closes your question. THAT IS NOT TRUE. Please, rate my performance honestly

Well, if the drive was geared too high it could cause the boat to not plane.

Is this motor the same as what was in it before? if not, what was in it?

same prop size?

Same drive?

What is the gear ratio of the drive?

the pitch and diameter of the prop?

The engine in the boat before was a standard carberator 5.7 260 Hp . I put a new Crusader 5.7 MPI in it. The outdrive and all are origional mercruiser. The boat performed fine the first time I took it out, unfortunatly it sunk and I had to replace a lot of the electronics ,computer etc. It was winterized and when I put it in the water I couldn't get it up on plane. The boat will do at least 45 mph

Crap.

This is going to be an issue. The space between the floor and the hull is full of foam. Chances are real good yours is water saturated and you are probably carrying 1000 pounds of water around with you. This water wont drain out. The floor has to be brought up and the foam removed and replaced. If the foam used is open celled it holds water like a sponge.

What needs to be done is a hole drilled thru the floor near the transom as close to the stringer as possible and a probe stuck into the foam to check for water.

I don't believe it's full of water or saturated as the mechanic had it on the water before it was winterized and said it ran fine. The fuel tank is under the floor near the transom. The boat doesn't seem to weigh more than it did before. It has been almost two years since it was under water,only the rear end was submerged,basically just the motor.Hope this helps,also My son who is an excellant Audi mech. seems to think it's the outdrive trans thats slipping.

Well, the drive can't really slip. Not without making a heck of a clattering. But the propeller can if the hub is damaged. Usually though that comes with very high rpms.

When your boat is struggling to plane out, how many rpms is it pulling?

4,000 rpms at 10mph at best.

Pull your propeller off the drive and check the hub in it. You may have a broken hub is all. I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was such an extreme loss of propulsion involved here.

If your hub is rubber and you can't tell if it is damage, put a mark across from the inner hub to the outer hub and test the boat. If the lines no longer line up, your hub is shot.

James, Marine Mechanic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2014 hurricane deck boat with a 4.3 mercury
I have a 2014 hurricane deck boat with a 4.3 mercury sterndrive and alpha 1.81. When I throttle up the boat seems to want to just plow and not go to plane. Once in a while it will hit plane, but not e… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2005 Searay 260DA with a Mercruier 350 Mag MPI and
I have a 2005 Searay 260DA with a Mercruier 350 Mag MPI and a Bravo 3 Outdrive. It has a hard time getting on plan. The motor is the smallest that was offered for that year boat. Engine runs smooth, i… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a Sea Ray year 2004, 240 Sundeck. I'd like to upgrade
I have a Sea Ray year 2004, 240 Sundeck. I'd like to upgrade the 5.0L MPI Bravo® III MCM Stern Drive (260 hp - 194 kW) engine. The engine has lots of hours and compression issues in 3 cylinders. What … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
MY 2005 TROPHY WITH A 5.0L MPI HAS A FAULT. WHEN YOU
MY 2005 TROPHY WITH A 5.0L MPI HAS A FAULT. WHEN YOU INCREASE THE RPM FROM IDOL TO 1000 RPM THE TACH READS DOUBLE (2000 RPM). WHEN YOU INCREASE THE RPM TO 3000 RPM THE TACH READS DOUBLE (6000 RPM). TH… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I just got a 1995 Trojan 350 express with 2 crusader 350 xl
I just got a 1995 Trojan 350 express with 2 crusader 350 xl engines injection. The boat was not running for 2 years. What will be the steps in order to check if the engines are working?… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2011 mercruiser 5.0 MPI and am getting 1 horn per
I have a 2011 mercruiser 5.0 MPI and am getting 1 horn per minute. My boat is a 21ft hurricane deck boat and it also has trouble getting up on plane with more than 5-6 people on board. Could these be … read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Engine SN: OW673430, mercruiser 5.0 MPI, drive serial num OW927662.
engine SN: OW673430, mercruiser 5.0 MPI, drive serial num OW927662. use boat in saltwater, engine is open cooled system using seawater for cooling. Temp are running between 185 and 205 on gauge on boa… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I'm pat we have a sea ray 205 with a mercruiser 5.0 mpi
Hi I'm pat we have a sea ray 205 with a mercruiser 5.0 mpi has no power down the boat doesn't over heat runs smooth and when gets up too speed it's fine… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Hi I have twin Crusader 5.7 MPIs, 2001s, 280 hours each.
Hi I have twin Crusader 5.7 MPI's, 2001's, 280 hours each. They run fine at idle and at RPM's above about 2500. In between, both engines periodically lose power and act like they are missing a few cyl… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a 2009 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 1 drive in
I have a 2009 Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI with Bravo 1 drive in a Stingray boat. The boat runs great at idle but as you increase throttle it begins to skip badly around 2,000 rpm. 2,500 is a slow plane for… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1997 wellcraft cruiser with twin 7.4 MPI Vdrives and
I have a 1997 wellcraft cruiser with twin 7.4 MPI Vdrives and the one is running well with the exception that on my syincro dial it seems that it will falter a bit for a long time and then it picks up… read more
Joe
Joe
Owner Kingsland Auto & Marine Services,
Boat will not come up on plane. 1987 Wellcraft 34 Gran
Boat will not come up on plane. 1987 Wellcraft 34 Gran Sport. Engines (2) are crusader 350's seem to be running strong.. Previous owner says will come up on plane at 3100rpm. Says props are correct bu… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Have a 02 wellcraft excalibur that has 2 minor issues. the
Have a 02 wellcraft excalibur that has 2 minor issues. the boat is fitted with 496 mpi and the volvo dp lower unit. first, when idling with the lower unit in the full down position it will idle rough … read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
What size prop do I need ( dia/pitch) for a 34 foot
What size prop do I need ( dia/pitch) for a 34 foot 1987 Wellcraft Grand Sport . 2 350 HP Crusader engines, dry weight 13,000 pounds, Boat will not get over the hump, well tuned engines max out at 360… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Mercury Hi, I have twins verado 250 hp 2005 in a 36ft concept
Hi, I have twins verado 250 hp 2005 in a 36ft concept boat, I'm run only the port engine to get on plane and only get 2950 rpms and when I only run the stabord engine the get on plane and gets 3800 rp… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
I have 1985 wellcraft 3400 grand sport it well only run 19
I have 1985 wellcraft 3400 grand sport it well only run 19 mph full throttle at 3500 rpm Should run faster.… read more
Jason
Jason
have a home made surface piercing drive, same concept as Simplicity
have a home made surface piercing drive, same concept as Simplicity but made from steel versus fiberglass, horseshoe rudder and 18x 19 surface prop, this setup was coupled to a twin disc mg 502 1.5:1 … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a 2003 25ft Mustang Sports Cruiser fitted with a 4.3
I have a 2003 25ft Mustang Sports Cruiser fitted with a 4.3 Mercruiser stern drive with 125 hours on it. Fuel consumption seems heavy at around 5 Gals/hr. Is this normal or do I have a problem.… read more
Scott Martin
Scott Martin
Service manager,