Boat

I have a 1985 70hp Johnson outboard as soon as turn the switch…

Customer Question
I have a 1985 70hp...
I have a 1985 70hp Johnson outboard as soon as turn the switch on i get an alarm before even trying to start the engine what do i look for... Read full answer
I have a 1985 70hp Johnson outboard as soon as turn the switch on i get an alarm before even trying to start the engine what do i look for
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Boat
6/14/2012
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth. Post back with questions as needed.

.

There are only 2 things that will set the alarm off on that engine. There is a temperature overheat switch in the cylinder head. And an oil level sensor in the remote tank.

Simply disconnect them 1 at a time and whichever one silences the alarm is the problem.

.

Feel free to post back with any questions.

Good luck and happy boating!

Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Just to add 1 more thing here.

Your original engine had what they called a VRO fuel pump. There are no sensors in the basic VRO pump. However, newer engines have what they call an OMS/VRO pump. The OMS pump does have an oil flow sensor in it. If the fuel pump is not original to the engine, you woud want to check to see if somebody stuck an OMS pump on there at some point and tied it into the alarm.

Other than that, disconnecting each of the sensors 1 at a time until the alarm silences will tell you which sensor is bad. Now in the event you disconnect all the sensors and you still get the alarm. Then you have either a bad alarm buzzer or there is a short circuit someplace.

.

Post back with questions

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 70hp triple cylinder, two stroke outboard. When I
I have a Johnson 70hp triple cylinder, two stroke outboard. When I turn the key to the run position the alarm sounds continuously. I then turn the key to the start position and the motor starts and ru… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
Boat won't start. All electronics work, not even a click
Boat won't start. All electronics work, not even a click when I turn the ignition. 2003 70hp johnson 4 stroke … read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
It's been standing for 3 years and I can't even remember
Hi. It's been standing for 3 years and I can't even remember what year model it is? The trim has failed and I have discarded that. Now someone is selling a 70hp Johnson and I am consisdering it. Is th… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Sheer pin off. Not sure what they hit. Replaced sheer small
Sheer pin off. Not sure what they hit. Replaced sheer small ding in prop. Took prop off first and checked gears on front of shaft. Did not start boat as in lift but slipped into gear. Prop still turns… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
hello! my name is ***** ***** have a 70hp Johnson seahorse outboard,the
hello! my name is ***** ***** have a 70hp Johnson seahorse outboard,the motor will start and shout off what is the problem?… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I just bought a used 70HP Johnson 4 stroke outboard. The model
I just bought a used 70HP Johnson 4 stroke outboard. The model # XXXXX XXXXX and the serial # XXXXX XXXXX The title says 2003 and a plate on the motor says 2002. I'm trying to look up parts on line an… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 1985 Johnson 70hp outboard with the warning alarm
I have a 1985 Johnson 70hp outboard with the warning alarm sounds off as soon as you put the key in the start position. It started going off when I was out in the lake. Since then I change the impelle… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Johnson Outboard 1998 70hp start well and working well when
Johnson Outboard 1998 70hp start well and working well when the transmission OF,bat stop working in 5...10 sec. when I put transmission to ON (motor is enough hot). How We can fix this problem?… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
70hp johnson outboard 2000 model running fine then starts vibrating
70hp johnson outboard 2000 model running fine then starts vibrating and rattling noise in lower unit and the prop was spinning freely but not engaging in forward or reverse. motor continued to run fin… read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,
Have a 1999 70hp Johnson Outboard. ran fine one day and
Have a 1999 70hp Johnson Outboard. ran fine one day and the next it ran on idle for a bit then died when i tried to throttle up.. wouldn't start again. Also, discovered that the motor will not trim up… read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
my johnson outboard motor 70hp will start and run in warm up
my johnson outboard motor 70hp will start and run in warm up but when you shift into gear it slows the warm down i think to low.shifts into gear ok but when you power up the motor just stalls.can you … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a Johnson 70hp outboard (Mod # XXXXX 2002. I bought
I have a Johnson 70hp outboard (Mod # XXXXX 2002. I bought boat and motor off show room floor in 2006 I used up the original gal. of oil in 2011 Motor has very low hrs. My problem is after running mot… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Stop searching for answers—
I have a 1995 Johnson outboard whe I turn the key on key alarm
I have a 1995 Johnson outboard whe I turn the key on key alarm will go off solid even when the motor is not on. Any ideals what would case this. I have replaced the alarm and key switch.… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
I have a 1980 Evinrude 70hp long shaft outboard motor without
I have a 1980 Evinrude 70hp long shaft outboard motor without power trim, I know power trim was available on this engine. I'm looking at a trim/tilt from a 1985 70hp evinrude and I'm not sure if it wi… read more
John White
John White
Marine Mechanic,
Hi....I have a 1977 70hp johnson outboard motor that may need
Hi....I have a 1977 70hp johnson outboard motor that may need repair. What would need to be replaced or rebuilt for this year motor? What can I expect for cost of repairs.. Scott… read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,
My 2001 Johnson 70HP 2 cycle 3 cylinder outboard quit running
My 2001 Johnson 70HP 2 cycle 3 cylinder outboard quit running as I pulled away from the dock. When I try to start it now, it will run for 2 to 5 seconds and shut off. I had a new gas line installed fr… read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,
I have a 1974 Johnson 70hp. outboard that was running fine.
I have a 1974 Johnson 70hp. outboard that was running fine. I replaced spark plugs. It ran fine for awhile, then it started bogging down and died. It wouldn't crank, like a dead battery. I tilted the … read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,
How do I turn my ignition alarm off when I try to start my ...
How do I turn my ignition alarm off when I try to start my 1989 glasstream fish & ski? What does the alarm mean?… read more
Larry B.
Larry B.
Marine Service Tech,