Boat

All of return water is coming out of the exhaust ports and…

Customer Question
All of return water is...
All of return water is coming out of the exhaust ports and not the propellar on Mercruiser Alpha One lower unit. How do we make it go through propellar or should it be going through propellar?... Read full answer
All of return water is coming out of the exhaust ports and not the propellar on Mercruiser Alpha One lower unit. How do we make it go through propellar or should it be going through propellar?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Boat
6/5/2012
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth. Post back with questions as needed.

.

Are you just running it on the trailer and a garden hose?

Yes with muffs. But we have had it in the water and it appears the exhaust is coming out of the two exhaust ports instead the center of the prop. Lots of bubbling under ski deck and sort of a rooster tail type water spray coming out.

Gotcha,

Those 2 ports are called idle relief ports. They are there to make it easier for the engine to idle when in the water. When in the water, there is backpressure from the water itself pushing in on the exhaust outlet, which will make the engine labor to idle. That is the idea behind the idle relief ports. To relieve the backpressure of the lake/sea water.

.

When wether you are on the garden hose. Or in the water. It is normal to get most of your exhaust and water out of those 2 idle relief ports. You probably get close to 90% of your exhaust and water out of those ports at idle and fast idle speeds.

However, when the engine picks up rpms, the flow of water will change from the idle relief ports to the main exhaust port on the drive. (and through the prop). And 90% of the exhaust and water would then come out of the main exhaust. But you still get a little out of the idle relief ports.

.

If you feel you are still getting to much exhaust out of those ports then there are 2 things you need to check.

1. Trim the drive up and look up and underneath of it. Make sure the exhaust bellow between the outer transom plate and the bellhousing is still intact. And that it did not fall off or has holes in it.

2. If that looks good, remove the sterndrive and look into the exhaust cavity and see if it is plugged up at all. If the engine has ever overheated or run hot. What will happen is the exhaust flappers in the exhaust collector (the Y pipe) fall out and can partially plug the main exhaust port.

.

That is what you are looking for.

Feel free to post back with questions

Good luck!

Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

On the overheating issue, we have had the boat in the lake and it didn't exhibit any overheating according the guage. We ran it for at least 30 minutes or more. It seemed that when we accelerated the boat would either spew water up sort of like a rooster tail from under the ski deck or would split it off to each site of the motor. But still very strange pattern. I don't think you could ski behind it.

It appears the exhaust bellow is in tact and in good shape. I just hate to take it to the shop or tear into if there could be something else that we should check.

Do you think it should overheat if the main exhaust port is partially obstructed?

What do you mean by "On the overheating issue"????

.

Scroll up and read your original question. There is no mention of an overheat.

On your response you said, ". If that looks good, remove the sterndrive and look into the exhaust cavity and see if it is plugged up at all. If the engine has ever overheated or run hot. What will happen is the exhaust flappers in the exhaust collector (the Y pipe) fall out and can partially plug the main exhaust port.

I was just wondering if this was the problem would the boat run hot.

Also I was wondering if this is something I need to have taken care of right away. Will it do damage to run it with the exhaust mainly coming out of the relief ports?

Thanks

Start over. You never mentioned that the boat runs hot from the start.

I did not mean to say the boat runs hot. It has not the one time we have had it in the water since we have owned it. I was just referring to you saying that it could have an obstruction in the exhaust that happened if it ever overheated or run hot.

My question was if it does have an obstruction in the exhaust, would it or should it run hot?

It has not overheated since we have had it. However, we have had this exhaust issue since we have had it. I am sorry for the confusion.

An obstruction in the exhaust can cause the engine to run hot. However, at the same time. If the obstruction was big enough, engine performance would also suffer.

.

Post back with questions

OK thanks for your help. I guess our next step will be to remove stern drive and check for blockages.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2004 Mercruiser 5.7 250 hp, Alpha one drive, gen 2.
I have a 2004 Mercruiser 5.7 250 hp, Alpha one drive, gen 2. I've seen some info online about “drive showers” / “drive coolers”, and am just looking for an opinion or advice as to whether or not these… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I'm Percy. I have a Mercruiser Alpha One pre Alpha. When
Hi, I'm Percy. I have a Mercruiser Alpha One pre Alpha. When I start the engine water is coming out the drive exactly like in this video: … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
While running my 4-cylindar I/O in my driveway on earmuffs
While running my 4-cylindar I/O in my driveway on earmuffs I noticed water streaming down out of the boot connecting the outdrive to the engine. How big of a problem do I have? And can the boat be dri… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Stop searching for answers—
Greetings, I am working on a 1989 Mercruiser Alpha One with
Greetings, I am working on a 1989 Mercruiser Alpha One with 5.7 GM. I would like to convert the stock thermostat housing which has 6 ports and sets quite high on the intake manifold, to the newer, low… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hello, I have a 4.3 litre V6 MPI mercruiser with Alpha outdrive.
Hello, I have a 4.3 litre V6 MPI mercruiser with Alpha outdrive. Have problems with marine groth in the seawater inlet system through the outdrive and therefore want to convert to direct seawater inle… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
I have a 1974 Tri Sonic 1900 Tornado SST Tri Hull The lower
I have a 1974 Tri Sonic 1900 Tornado SST Tri Hull The lower unit is a Mercruiser 888-MC-1 Yesterday I put the muffs on it and started the motor. I noticed a little bit of blue gear oil come out the ex… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
have a 94 crown line with alpha on.the boat taking on water
have a 94 crown line with alpha on.the boat taking on water changed all bellows coming in from right side of unit just above the hydro lines leaking in around the drive line inside boat… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
I just replaced the impeller and pump in a 1990 Raven with
I just replaced the impeller and pump in a 1990 Raven with a Mercruiser 3.OL Alpha One. I had a difficult getting the lower unit seated. I have not started the engine yet (will do it tomorrow) but I s… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 1999 Marada Sport I with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine
I have a 1999 Marada Sport I with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine and Alpha One outdrive. I have a cooling question. Is the spent cooling water supposed to exit through the prop along with the exhaust, or do… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
should water come out behind the prop with water muffs on the
should water come out behind the prop with water muffs on the lower unit?? this is and alpha 1 unit.… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
This is a basic question...and comment. Where do I find a
This is a basic question...and comment. Where do I find a basic diagram of a Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen II Sterndrive, showing which parts are which? My problem is when I set up for a test start of my … read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I have a Campion 645i with a Mercruiser 350 motor. The fuel
I have a Campion 645i with a Mercruiser 350 motor. The fuel (petrol) has been contaminated with water. What's the easiest way to empty (and flush) the fuel tank? My local mechanic (I'm in Malta) was h… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Stop searching for answers—
Mercruiser Alpha 1 2000 model year. I just started it for
Mercruiser Alpha 1 2000 model year. I just started it for the first time this year, and it appears that some water is coming out above the front anodic plate on the outdrive. I put earmuffs on have ve… read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Service Manager/Technician,
I hooked up some rabbit ears to my mercruiser i/o engine. The
I hooked up some rabbit ears to my mercruiser i/o engine. The water is going in ok, buit I'm not sure where it is supposed to come out. It seems that most of it is comming out warm/hot near the transo… read more
mercmastertech
mercmastertech
Service Manager, Master technician,
Technical School
What is the correct method apporved by Mercrusier on resealing
What is the correct method apporved by Mercrusier on resealing the raw water pump on a Alpha -one drive Gen 2.… read more
mercmastertech
mercmastertech
Service Manager, Master technician,
Technical School
how do i change the alternator belt on my Crownline boat, Mercruiser
how do i change the alternator belt on my Crownline boat, Mercruiser 3.0 LX 1997. How do i access the seawater pump with the super sport seating?… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 165 mercruiser with a recently rebuilt engine.
I have a 165 mercruiser with a recently rebuilt engine. However that is not the problem. I have a gear lube leak somewhere inside the lower end and oil exits between the propeller and prop shaft housi… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
Rigger, Diagnostician,
i have a 1996 mercruiser sterndrive, alpha one. How do ...
i have a 1996 mercruiser sterndrive, alpha one. How do I check the gear lube in the lower unit… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,