K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

Honda BF5A: Problem with a Honda BF5A...I was warming it up

Problem with a Honda BF5A...I was warming it up in my driveway for 10 minutes without the water hose connected. The engine still starts but there is no water pumping out of it. Can you tell me what steps I need to do to repair it?

K.Kergan :

Hi, my name is Kerry

K.Kergan :

The water pump impeller will self-destruct if it runs without water for more than one minute.

K.Kergan :

You need to remove the lower unit and replace the warter pump impeller.

Customer:
K.Kergan :

The water pump is bolted to the gearcase and fits around the driveshaft.

K.Kergan :

When you get lower unit off you will see how much damage the heat has caused to the water pump housing, if it's melted you will need to replace it.

K.Kergan :

So you unbolt the lower unit and remove it, then unbolt the pump housing and remove it.

K.Kergan :

Use new gaskets when you put it back together. When you put the lower unit back on, make sure the copper water tube plugs into the water pump.

Customer:

Easy? Difficult?....Expensive?

K.Kergan :

Not very difficult or expensive.

Customer:
K.Kergan :

There is also a shift shaft that needs to be disconnected to get the lower unit off.

K.Kergan :

Number 3 and 4 in the second diagram is the shift shaft link

Customer:

Will I be removing everything below the engine or only the parts in the prop area?

K.Kergan :

Number 9 might be where you get access to disconnect the shift link, I haven't worked on one this new so I'm not certain.

K.Kergan :

Look at the diagram, number 20 is the bolts you take out and you only remove the lower unit. I stops a couple inches above the prop.

Customer:

OK, I understand.

K.Kergan :

It's a small motor so it isn't too difficult, just alittle tricky to get both the driveshaft and water tube plugged in at the same time.

K.Kergan :

If you need the complete water pump it will be about $100.00, if the housing is good, the impeller kit is about $20.00

K.Kergan :
Customer:

Good to know.

K.Kergan :

When you put it back on, you visually line up the water pump tube and when it's started in you feel for the crankshaft splines to plug in the driveshaft.

Customer:

I assume it's a good sign that the motor still starts and runs.

Is there anything else I should be inspecting for damage?

K.Kergan :

Yes, it's a good sign, usually when overheating damages the pistons the motor won't idle and will be hard to start.

Customer:

By the way....My name is Ron (sorry for the late introduction)

K.Kergan :

That's okay Ron

Customer:

Anything else I need to know, Kerry?

K.Kergan :

Anything else to inspect? Well, a good overheating can do damage to a lot of areas, gaskets can harden and plastic parts can melt.

Customer:

Since it WAS running for 10 minutes without cooling water....should I take the motor to a shop? Or should I only do that if there are indications of further damage?

K.Kergan :
K.Kergan :

I can't think of anything in particular that you should check other than keep an eye out for heat damage in the parts you do see.

K.Kergan :

I'd repair the pump and test run it.

]

K.Kergan :

If it runs fine you're good.

K.Kergan :

If it doesn't run fine you may have caused worse damage then maybe the shop is order.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX confident I can tackle this. (I can program computers just fine, but don't have much experience with engines.)

K.Kergan :

I'm the other way, doing computer science courses at the college

K.Kergan :

25 years as inboard/outboard mech

Customer:

Yeah...I could tell you've done this before.

K.Kergan :

A few times

Customer:

This is my first experience with JustAnswer. What are the next steps?

K.Kergan :

If you're satisfied with the answer, click on the accept button, you can also save this page in your favorites and come back later for follow-up questions or if you have problems.

K.Kergan :

If you post to the question, say, days or weeks later, I will get an e-mail notifying me to respond.

Customer:

Seems like you've given me enough to work with. Thanks...I will definitely accept.

Meanwhile....If you ever have questions about Microsoft Excel...I'm one of the best in the world (According to Microsoft)

Customer:

I post in ExcelForum.com under my real name: Ron Coderre

K.Kergan :

I'll check that out, I could actually use some excel pointers

Customer:

Thanks for everything.

K.Kergan :

You're welcome