Boat

Im looking at a boat with a 88 Johnson outboard, guys said…

Customer Question
I'm looking at a boat...
I'm looking at a boat with a 88 Johnson outboard, guys said it ran when he got it but cut some wires under the consoul and has not started since. I was hoping you could give me a idea of what year it may be. Besides the compression what else should I look for to get a idea of it's condition?... Read full answer
I'm looking at a boat with a 88 Johnson outboard, guys said it ran when he got it but cut some wires under the consoul and has not started since. I was hoping you could give me a idea of what year it may be. Besides the compression what else should I look for to get a idea of it's condition?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Boat
5/24/2012
Marine Mechanic: James, Marine Mechanic replied 7 years ago
James, Marine Mechanic

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. because of the range of possible issues, this may take more than one post. Please, don't hesitate to reply.

The compression is the most critical indicator of the motor's condition. Without being able to start the motor, you are taking a risk. I tell most folks that if you cannot test the motor in the water, be prepared to walk away for the slightest reason. Even hearing the motor run on the trailer only tells you that might work in the water. You are looking at a boat with a motor that doesn't run. If it is just a matter of cut wires, you need to ask why they were not simply connected back together so the motor runs. Failing to do a simple repair when selling a boat is a BIG red flag. And cut wires is about as simple as it gets. Just put the matching colored wires back together.

As for finding you the year, I will need to have the motors model number to do that for you. It can be found on a tag on the mounting bracket that holds the motor to the boat.

James, Marine Mechanic
No numbers found on the mounting bracket. But the boat is a 1988. Guy thought the motor was bought with the boat. He is the second owner and bought it form the first owner whom he knew. Model is a SPL 88. I didn't see a oil injection tank, so I guess the oil need to be mixed with the gas. Batteries are dead, so they will need to be charged or jumped proir to taking a compression check. I could turn the flywheel and feel some compression.
OK, give me a minute

The 88 models were made between 1987-1990. Without the model number I cannot narrow it down any closer than that.

But being that the boat is an '89 the previous owner assumption is almost certainly the correct one.

If you look at the power head, the model number should the stamped on one of the freeze plugs. I think it is on the top of the motor, but don't hesitate to look the motor over if you cannot find it there.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I looking to buy a project boat. It has a 140 seahorse v4
I looking to buy a project boat. It has a Johnson 140 seahorse v4 outboard moror. The issue I am having is where to check to find out what year the motor is. The owners inherited the boat and have no … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Boat won't start. All electronics work, not even a click
Boat won't start. All electronics work, not even a click when I turn the ignition. 2003 70hp johnson 4 stroke … read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a 1995 outboard with an OMC Dual Lever Remote
I have a 1995 Johnson outboard with an OMC Dual Lever Remote control. The up and down trim button on the shifter handle does not work but the button on the engine will raise and lower the motor. I jus… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Looking for some advice. How much does it cost to ask a
looking for some advice. How much does it cost to ask a question? … read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
Accidentally got water in fuel drained tank took carbs off
accidentally got water in fuel drained tank took carbs off cleaned with carb cleaner and air runs good but pull into full throttle runs for a bit then dies brought home took off fuel pump and took apa… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a 1976 9.9 Outboard motor. It has less than 30 hours
I have a 1976 9.9 Johnson Outboard motor. It has less than 30 hours on it. Last used was my members of my church on fishing trip to Canada. He returned it to me 3 years ago. And it has been sitting in… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 1979 55hp outboard motor on our starfire. this
i have a 1979 johnson 55hp outboard motor on our starfire. this thing has been a fixer upper from the start. last year the motor would pretty much die after being ran too long, after is sat about 30 m… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a 1985 mercury outboard that won't idle. It runs good
I have a 1985 mercury outboard that won't idle. It runs good at higher rpms but wen I want to shift it into gear it always stalls. Everything with the ignition system seems to test ok and the carbs ha… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
I have a Jon boat with a 1999 25 HP Yamaha Outboard model
I have a Jon boat with a 1999 25 HP Yamaha Outboard model # ***** ***** It set up for a couple years after my Dad passed and I finally put tires on it and took it back home and put new hose new tank a… read more
I have a 2000 90hp johnson on my pontoon. It has always ran
I have a 2000 90hp johnson on my pontoon. It has always ran great. Love the motor. This year before running the pontoon I replaced the spark plugs and also decided to have a new water pump installed. … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
We have a 2001 Johnson(NNN) NNN-NNNN 70 outboard Gas motor that
We have a 2001 Johnson(NNN) NNN-NNNN 70 outboard Gas motor that has no Spark.We have had a Boat Marine Man come to our house 4 times and he is so frustated with our boat he is refusing to come back...… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Im looking at a boat, just on line at this point and it says
I'm looking at a boat, just on line at this point and it says that two cylinders have low compression. The engine is a 1977 Johnson 200hp. Will they continue to get worse?… read more
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
My son and I recently purchased a 1969 T-156 Glastron Trihull
My son and I recently purchased a 1969 T-156 Glastron Trihull boat in mint condition and it is equipted with a 55hp Super Sea Horse Modle #55ESL69A engine the year is also a 1969. The boat and engine … read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Hi Shane its me again... I gave up on the Suzuki... i got
Hi Shane it's me again... I gave up on the Suzuki... i got the compression up but then I found that the top carb would stop sucking air after awhile... ran great till it did that then right back to th… read more
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore
Certified Mercury Marine technician,
I have an older 6.6 horse evenrude that I am putting on my
I have an older 6.6 horse evenrude that I am putting on my 12' fishing boat. The guy I got it from was not a wealth of information. Is there anywhere on line I can get an owners manule and an even sim… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I bought my first boat a week ago, 1987 princecraft pontoon
I bought my first boat a week ago, 1987 princecraft pontoon with 1987 mercury outboard serial no(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor $1900. Got it water ready(good compression and spark)after replacing a battery for $30… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
My father has a 1988 88 hp spl johnson outboard that he took
My father has a 1988 88 hp spl johnson outboard that he took apart. He forgot to put the motor in reverse before he took the linkage apart. The motor is in neutral now. He is having trouble putting th… read more
davesoutboard
davesoutboard
owner,
hey boat experts, I have a 1969 Merc 800 redband thunderbolt
hey boat experts, I have a 1969 Merc 800 redband thunderbolt ignition outboard. Had her for about 2 years. rebuilt carbs and set timing last year and that made her much happier. had consistent compres… read more
russ
russ