Scott
Scott, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  26 Years in Marine trade/ marine college/onan/RV appliance school
10566092

How long can you leave a fiberglass boat in a fresh water lake

How long can you leave a fiberglass boat in a fresh water lake in Oklahoma before you cause damage to the hull?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

Fiberglass is impregnated with wax and will last a very long time in salt or fresh water.

I cant see any damage being done leaving it in the water accept for UV damage from the sun affecting the finish.

It would be a good measure to wax the hull every 1-2 years to keep the finish as new.

Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been told by several marinas that heavy scum will occur in as few as 3 weeks and that pitting in the fiberglass will occur. They all agree that damage will occur, but they disagree as to the time. Some say a month and others say as long as two years. Do you know the real time for pitting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth. Post back with questions as needed.

.

Hi there.

What you are talking about right now is the gelcoat finish. What you initially asked was "before you cause damage to the hull",

.

There is a difference between gelcoat issues and actual hull damage. Which is it that you want to know about?

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
The scum the marinas warned you about is the residue on the surface of the lake that basically transfers to the hull and washes off/ no damage.

The pitting they scared you about will occur over time if the hulls finish (gelcoat) has not been maintained (waxed) that seals the micro pores.

fiberglass boats 40+ years are still around and some look like new.
Scott, Marine Mechanic
Experience: 26 Years in Marine trade/ marine college/onan/RV appliance school