KyleK
KyleK, Mechanic
Experience:  8+ years Parts and Service experience with Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda
44029509

I have a 85 bayliner capri with a Volvo Penta 270 sterndrive

Customer Question

I have a 85 bayliner capri with a Volvo Penta 270 sterndrive motor runs good but lower unit won't pull water, the prop barly spins when in gear and there's a strong vibration from the rear of the motor, any advice where to start?
Category: Boat
Expert:  KyleK replied 5 years ago.
Hello

Sir or Madam

Welcome to JA

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The lower has a u-joint on it with a gasket, that is what usually goes out and causes an air lock in the system, which causes no water to be sucked into the water pump.

Most guys put a thru hull in the boat, this will cause that problem never to happen again. Look at the picture the circled part is the gasket

Now as for the vibration, that can be coming from the universal shaft

As for the prop not spinning fast, you will need to check the lower unit fluid for chucks of metal and color. You could have a complete mess on your hands or maybe somebody took this unit apart and did not put it back together

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which universal shaft? And is u joint under that cover?
Expert:  KyleK replied 5 years ago.

The shaft is actually on the upper unit off the drive

CLICK HERE FOR PARTS

You need to remove the cover, number 13 in the circle picture in the first reply

I can not post up the manuals due to copy rights, but i do have a link that has the manual i found on the internet

CLICK HERE FOR MANUAL

You will need to do a bunch of things, also a vibration can be coming from a damaged prop or prop shaft and not just a universal joint