Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2009 4-stroke 60 HP outboard was fogged for the winter on the…

Customer Question
2009 4-stroke 60 HP outboard...
2009 4-stroke 60 HP outboard was fogged for the winter on the wrong side (side opposite spark plugs) Does this hurt anything, or can I just start it to burn it off?

Thanks
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Boat
11/1/2011
Marine Mechanic: T. Phoenix, Marine Mechanic replied 10 years ago
T. Phoenix
T. Phoenix, Marine Mechanic
Hi There!,
Thank you for letting me try to help you here.
If by opposite side of spark plugs you mean fogging oil was sprayed in the intake, then that's not a problem at all.
Some people prefer to fog engines that way. Especially in a four stroke motor the main concern with the fogging oil is to coat the cylinder walls to help deter rust from forming.
So yeah you're ok. Starting the engine and running it will cause a lot of smoke but that's what happens regardless of where the fogging oil is sprayed.
It will be fine. Remember to replace your spark plugs next spring after you run the engine for a bit to burn off that extra fogging oil.

I assume it was the intake, facing the back of the boat, the spark plugs are on the left side of the motor and the area fogged was on the right side. It required 4 screws to be removed to allow access to each cylinder. Is this correct?

Let me clarify. If you are sitting on the boat. Was the point of fogging on the front area of the engine facing you or the back facing away from the boat?
You know actually it doesn't matter. But you should remove your spark plugs and spray the fogging oil in the spark plug holes and rotate the engine a few times to help disperse the oil around the cylinders. Then spray your spark plugs with the fogging oil and put them in the plug holes and your engine is safe from rust this way for sure. Any oil after running it in the spring will burn off.
T. Phoenix
T. Phoenix, Marine Mechanic