Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How to identify a Mercury outboard motor?

You might want to get the number so you know exactly what your buying. As it could be a 150, 175, or 200hp.

It's a Mercury 2.5 liter V6, I can tell you that. (very common and one of the best blocks Mercury has ever made.

The serial starting with G200 means it was made in 1995.

For the rest of it, you need the model number of the data tag.

The first 3 numbers of the model number will be the engines horsepower. So the model number will start with 150, 175, or 200. After the HP number, it will have its options. Just like you buy a car with options, you buy an outboard with options. Here is the chart to that tells you what the rest of the letters will mean.

graphic

For example, a model 150ELT (or pt) would be a 150hp engine with a 2o inch shaft and power tilt. And thats how you would decode the rest of your number when you get it.

Read full interaction below »

I am trying to identify a mercury outboard motor. The serial number is ***** The other markings are Mercury XRI, 2.5L offshore, electronic fuel injection, black max.
10/2/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

On the data plate on the clamp bracket that you got the serial number from will also be the model number of the engine. If you can get me that number I can tell you what it is.

I don't have the engine yet. I am in the process of buying it and all I have is pictures of the engine with the markings I gave you.

graphic

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic