Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 50 hp 2006 merc. elpt efi outboard. that is only

Customer Question
turning 4800- 5000 rpms and...
i have a 50 hp 2006 merc. elpt efi outboard. that is only turning 4800- 5000 rpms and burning a lot of fuel. i have recently replaced the high pressure pump filter, plugs ,oil and filter, and foot oil. just checked gap on plugs @.040. this motor used to turn 6000 rpm's easy . i have not changed the prop since i bought the boat so it isnt a prop issue. motor acts like i'm trying to pull a skier.... just bogged down feeling...
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Boat
9/5/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Most questions will involve troubleshooting, and usually take many posts back and forth.

Do you have the serial number handy, as that is how all mercurys are identified. Also, have you performed a compression test yet, and if so what were your numbers on each cylinder?

can get ser # have not ran a compression check as of yet

The reason I ask is low compression will give you both low power output and high fuel consumption so thats the first thing you want to check.

I don't know if you have a 2 or 4 stroke. (which is why I needed the serial number).

But for your results. If this is a 2 stroke, you want to see about 100psi or better on all cylinders. 90psi is about the bare minimum to run and still make power. But if you get much below that, the engine is either worn out or has a mechanical problem.

If this is a 4 stroke. You want to see about 170psi or better on all cylinders. But start with that and let me know how you make out.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic