Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1999 18.5 bass tracker with a 90 HP Mercury. The

Customer Question
I have a 1999 18.5...
I have a 1999 18.5 bass tracker with a 90 HP Mercury. The prop does not seem to raise the front of the boat at full speed even though I have trimed it out as fall as it will go without the prop slipping. The RPM is ok.

Is this due to a damaged prop? Or an incorrect pitch of the prop or what?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Boat
7/26/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

What kind of rpm are you turning at wide open throttle?
Is the prop actually damaged?
How is your speed? Has it dropped off significantly?
When you trim the engine out, is the trim holding or is it leaking down?

RPM is about 5400.

Prop is probably damaged. I have hit it some.

Speed has drop since new. It only runs about 30-35 tops. The boat does also have some dents on the bottom.

Trim does hold.

A damaged prop is like driving your car with flat tires, yeah it will go but not too good. If the blades are bent back you will lose bow lift. It will also cause an unbalanced condition which can damage parts in the engine, particularly the lower unit.
Finally if you have a rubber hub in the prop, it can spin, causing a loss of grip, like spinning your tires on wet grass. Lots of rpm but again not going anywhere. Eventually it will cease to function leaving you to limp home at idle speeds or in a bad enough case no forward speed.
I would take the propeller to a propeller repair shop or your local dealer and see if the prop is repairable. If not you will need a new propeller.
Once you get it fixed, post back what you find and if you are still having problems let me know and we can troubleshoot some more.
Thanks
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic