Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My volvo penta 5.0 gxi-C won't start. Checked fuel pumps,

Customer Question
my volvo penta 5.0 gxi-C...
my volvo penta 5.0 gxi-C won't start. Checked fuel pumps, pressure is 10(low) 50 (high), changed spark plugs and fuel filter. Don't seem to get any voltage at the injector solenoids.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Boat
7/4/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

Being as this is a fuel injected engine, your very limited as to what you can check yourself without a scan tool or laptop. If you have no injector pulse, the first thing to check would be all of the fuses for the ECM and injection system. You want to locate the master fuse/relay box, it is a black box and normally stuffed towards the back of the engine. Pop it open and check all of the fuses with a voltmeter or test light, there is 6 or 8 of them in there. There is also a master power relay, the easiest way to test that is with a new relay.

If its not the fuses or relay, your next step is going to be getting it hooked up to a laptop/scan tool. I wish there was a better way, but there is no way around that.

Post back with quetions.

Good luck!

Jason

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for my efforts. You can still come back here at any time in the future to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept. If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've done everything except replace the master power relay. I do have spark.

If you do have spark, then it's not the relay.

The ECM relies on signals from both the crankshaft and camshaft positioning sensors to fire the injectors. It could be either sensor thats bad, and you need the scan tool to see which. And there is always the posibility of a bad ECM. It's an expensive game if yor going to play a guessing game with it. I wish I had better news for you, but even if you brought the engine to me. My next step is breaking out my laptop and seeing what is going on inside of the ECM. This really is going to have to be your next step as well.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic