davesoutboard
davesoutboard, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  marina owner for 20+years, certified Evinrude tech
14632772

I have a 1996 200 hp johnson venom which was just completly

I have a 1996 200 hp johnson venom which was just completly rebuilt. It starts fine, runs find, but then we stop to fish and rest for about an hour, our problems start. The motor starts and with the prop not engaged we can rev the motor and it will run and stay running, but when we engage the prop the motor dies out. Sounds like it is flooded or something. After trying many times it will finally stay running and we can take off. It doesn't matter if we try to go slow or try to take off fast. It just keeps dying.

davesoutboard :

You say you rechecked the carbs, what does that mean?

Customer:

the mech that rebuilt the motor checked all six carbs to make sure they were working correct

davesoutboard :

I would double check with him that he rebuilt them with new carb kits installed. I would then next time you run it and this happens have him with to check and see if it is firing on all six cylinders. You either have a carb plugged or you are not hitting on all six once it warms up. That engine I believe has the optic ignition system did he have the correct tool to check the timing?

davesoutboard :

I just double checked and it does not have the optic system so it is easy to set the timing

davesoutboard :

Also what did the complete rebuild include. Was the engine bored, sleeved or just honed?

Customer:

Hard to get him with me to the lake it's about 1.5 hours from his shop and then we run the boat for a little then set for an hour. Not many mech will take that time, but I will check. I did pay hime $8,000 for the rebuilt. As for the correct tool I have no idea. I will ask him and tell him what you have told me to see if I we can get it to run. After the hour rest and we get it going it runs great, that is until we stop to fish for the hour then we go through the same process to get going again

davesoutboard :

For that kind of money he should come out and spend the week! That is a ripoff. You could of bought a rebuilt powerhead for much less.

Customer:

everything but the block was to be replaced, plus the carbs were rebuilt not replaced. In central Illinois no one would work on a Johnson so I didn't have much of a choice.

davesoutboard :

I am just saying you can go anywhere on the Internet and purchase that complete powerhead for 3 grand. He saw you coming and ripped you off. I know there are plenty of Evinrude dealers in Illinois that would of done it for less. Point is that is not helping you now. I would do a spark and compression test on this motor. If you want get those results and then post back on this same question. It will not cost you anymore and I would be glad to help you out.

davesoutboard :

Also ask him if he installed new thermostats in each head. For that money he sure should of. If could be the engine is running on the warm side and getting a vapor lock when sitting.

Customer:

You're probably correct as I don't know what a powerhead is. I just know the motor locked up and two pistons were melted. I was told the oil stopped getting to the motor for some reason and that caused the melt down. I will ask him about that also. It is weird that without the prop engaged the motor will run but once you engage and try to go it dies.

davesoutboard :

That just means the engine is not developing enough power at idle to turn the prop. It is probably not firing on all six cylinders, so when you put it in gear it does not have enough power to overcome the load from the prop and it dies. We just need to figure out why, is it a carb, no spark when warm or is there low compression on one or more cylinders.

Customer:

I will pass all of this to the mech and see what we can figure out.