Boat

I have a 1995 Chaparral SS1930 with a 5.0 LX Mercruiser Engine…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Chaparral...
I have a 1995 Chaparral SS1930 with a 5.0 LX Mercruiser Engine and am attempting to change the engine thermostat. I removed the bolts which hold the the the thermostat housing in place, flipped it over such that I can see the thermostat, but was not able to remove the thermostat. It appears to be held in place by a device which is cylindrical... Read full answer
I have a 1995 Chaparral SS1930 with a 5.0 LX Mercruiser Engine and am attempting to change the engine thermostat. I removed the bolts which hold the the the thermostat housing in place, flipped it over such that I can see the thermostat, but was not able to remove the thermostat. It appears to be held in place by a device which is cylindrical in shape on one end (next to the engine) and has four small posts on the opposite end which hold the thermostat flange in place. How do I remove this device such that the thermostat will fall out of the housing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
5/4/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
That part is the sleeve. Just remove the gasket and gently pry the sleeve out, then the thermostat.
#6 in the drawing is the sleeve. There were a number of different cooling systems used, this should be the same as yours. If not reply back with the engine serial number,
graphic
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
1995/96 Chaparral 4.3 carbed, fuel pump runs but unit gets
1995/96 Chaparral 4.3 carbed, fuel pump runs but unit gets no gas to the carb. There is fuel in the seperator. Should the pump draw fuel or does it just assist when enough fuel is drawn by the engine … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Mercruiser 5.0 possibly overheating. Have 2003 5.0
Have 2003 5.0 Mercruiser. Alarm sounded. Its either low drive lube or overheat. Lube level is correct. Changed water pump and thermostat. Alarm still sounded. Guage on dash shows approx. 180 degrees at idle. Temp gun shows approx. 160 degrees at thermostat housing. Nothing warmer than that except manifold shows 200 degrees. Removed one riser and seems fairly good shape … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I ahve a 2004 mercruiser 5.0 with dry joing exhaust bravo
I ahve a 2004 mercruiser 5.0 with dry joing exhaust bravo drive. the water pick up has been changed to through hull pick up new raw water pump,new circulator pump.manifolds were removed checked and ap… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Mercruiser 5.0 with open cooling and new stainless headers.
Mercruiser 5.0 with open cooling and new stainless headers. Portside outputs most of the water and starbord exhaust warms up and even contains steam. Hoses seem to be OK. What could the cause be?… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I have a 1993 Sea Ray with a 5.0 litre LX Mercruiser. My temperature
I have a 1993 Sea Ray with a 5.0 litre LX Mercruiser. My temperature guage is maxing out at 220 degrees. My lower unit water pump appears to be pumping sufficiently, I changed the thermostat and temp … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
The coupling that i wish to remove looks very like the one
The coupling that i wish to remove looks very like the one in the diagram that was posted by the other customer except that it has four cup headed bolts. However, I cannot find any trace of taper pin,… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Jeff --I have a 2001 Bennington 2575 RLIO Tritoon with a 5.0
Jeff --I have a 2001 Bennington 2575 RLIO Tritoon with a 5.0 L MPI--Alpha 1 Gen II Stern drive. Replaced all the bellows and having a real problem getting the exhaust bellows to stay on the rear?? Kee… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
I just installed a pair of new tachometers with hour meters
I just installed a pair of new Faria tachometers with hour meters along with the 4" synch gauge-- on twin mercruiser 5.0 lx I/O's. The port tachometer does not display anything where the hours should … read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,
Hi I have a mercruiser 305 in the water and want to replace
Hi I have a mercruiser 305 in the water and want to replace the circulating pump. How do I prevent the water from coming into the boat?… read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
Last Month I was troubleshooting my Mercruiser 3.0LX I/O--and
Last Month I was troubleshooting my Mercruiser 3.0LX I/O--and received help from Tom Partin. Is there a way that I can pose this question to Tom? I followed up the advice to service the carburator (by… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Tan my Mercruiser is still overheating at higher RPM 3800 checked
Tan my Mercruiser is still overheating at higher RPM 3800 checked Riser , Termostate and Water pump all appear okay… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
i bought a chris craft 262 amero sport 1988/1989 mercruiser
i bought a chris craft 262 amero sport 1988/1989 mercruiser raw water cooled engine , i never saw it together and would like a diagram of the thermostat housing and the parts in the order which they a… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
Stop searching for answers—
I just replaced a siezed alternator on a Mercruiser 5.0 with
I just replaced a siezed alternator on a Mercruiser 5.0 with a serpentine belt. I guess 15 years old or so? The belt has an idler pulley which manually adjusts via a geartooth type of mechanism. The p… read more
K. Kergan
K. Kergan
Inboard/Outboard Mechanic,
I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi engine with dual props. Im having
I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi engine with dual props. I'm having a problem with engine getting hot. It does't matter if I connect the hose o the lower unit or the wash out spout on the side of the engi… read more
Tan
Tan
MerCruiser Certified Technician,
Certified Marine Technician
I have a over heating problem with a 260 hp Mercruiser chevy
I have a over heating problem with a 260 hp Mercruiser chevy thru the hull drive engine.It is overheating so I removed the thermostat,boats in Miami,still over heats and the cooling water is black and… read more
Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Marine Mechanic,
Hi have you any tips on how to fit an exhaust bellows to a
Hi have you any tips on how to fit an exhaust bellows to a mercruiser 1996 .I have struggled for 3 hours only to punch a hole in the new bellows trying. many thanks Phil… read more
mercmastertech
mercmastertech
Service Manager, Master technician,
Technical School
We are trying to remove the propeller shaft from a Mercruiser
We are trying to remove the propeller shaft from a Mercruiser EZ shift Series 1 (165 hp) unit. We have removed the propeller and have also removed the gear housing retaining nut. We have also removed … read more
Master Tech
Master Tech
Service Manager/Technician,
I have a chaparral 220 deck boat with a (5.0 lx alpha one)
I have a chaparral 220 deck boat with a (5.0 lx alpha one) inboard engine. Can someone tell me how to remove the starter and also tell me a part number or the best place to purchase another one. The l… read more
Captain Dave
Captain Dave
Marine Mechanic,