Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

trim up wont work on 1995 starcraft islander. tore apart rocker…

Customer Question
trim up wont work on...
trim up wont work on 1995 starcraft islander. tore apart rocker switch on quicksilver shifter . down works and up works on trailor trim up works. pulled three prong plug at solinoid. got 12 volts on blue but not on purple. can anbody help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Boat
5/1/2011
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, and welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. If you need clarification on something please post back here.

Hi there.

Trim is a very small range. To get the drive to come all of the way up, you have to hit the trim up and trailer button at exactly the same time.

If that doesn't work for you, I need to know exactly what shifter you have, as there are many of them. A picture of it would be great as well.

Best,

Jason

tried traiolor trim with up trim. stillno up by itself. it is a quicksilver shifter.rocker has agreen apurple and ared wire.have 12 volts on red nothing onpurple . trailor trim has blue and red.

Red is the power into the switch.

When you hit the switch, Red powers Green for trim down.

Red powers purple for trim up.

If you hit the switch for trim up and you are not getting power on the purple wire, then the switch is bad.

Post back with any additional questions or concerns.

Good luck!

Jason

If this answers your question please do not forget to hit accept. Hitting accept is the only way justanswer compensates me for my efforts.
You can still come back here at any time in the future to ask follow up questions to this even after hitting accept.
If I have saved you considerable time/money, bonus tips are always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
when i junp red to purple it still doesnt work. is that right or does green come into play via the switch? by the way thank you for your time on sunday and will pay in any event.

Is your trailer button built into the remote control, or is it seperate from the remote?

when you say remote ? in the shifter handle near thumb theres a rocker switch for trimming outdrive . below that theres a single push button on shifter handle fof trailor tilt up only.

Yes by remote I do mean the remote control, the shifter.

Here is how the flow of electricity works when trimming up.

The power wire is always the red wire.

When you hit trim up on the rocker switch;

Power goes from the rocker switch to the purple/white wire.

Power from the purple white runs all the way down to the trim limit switch on the side of the drive.

If the trim limit switch is open, power stops right there, as the drive is to high and out of trim range, and nothing happens. This will happen if the switch is bad, disconnected, or not properly adjusted.

If the switch is closed, which it would be if the drive is still in trim range, power flows through the trim limit switch, and runs to the pump on a blue/white wire, and activates the pump until the drive trims up and opens the trim limit switch. At the trim limit switch, power enters on a purple/white wire, and leaves the switch on a blue/white wire

When the trim limit swich is open. You must hit the trim up and trailer button at the same time.

Power leaves the rocker switch on a purple/white wire and sends power to the "trailer" button. When you hit the trailer button, power leaves the trailer on a blue/white wire, and it bypass's the trim limit switch to tilt up the drive.

It is a bit complicated, So i will give you a wireing diagram. The diagram shows the old style switch, but it works exactly the same way. I like this diagram better because it shows what feeds what on the switches, where the newer style diagrams do not.

graphic

I know its complicated, so if you have any questions about it. Study the diagram carefully and read what I wrote, and then ask about which specific part of the circuit you do not understand.

Best,

Jason