Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1988 evinrude vro 120 with stock control unit that…

I have a 1988 evinrude...
I have a 1988 evinrude vro 120 with stock control unit that suddenly started revving full when in neutral. A quick shift into fwd will regain normal control but I can't shift into neutral unless I kill the engine. Shifting into reverse is very stiff throttle but will go through to neutral but remains very stiff. Throttle seems less responsive when pulling back from cruising speed, won't go to neutral intil turned off.
Thoughts?
8/4/2010
Marine Mechanic: tom, Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
Hello I'm Tom, I'll be happy to help you. There can be a couple of reasons for this, so we need to isolate the problem, go to the engine and follow the control cables to the clamp that holds them, remove the clamps and disconnect the cables from the linkages, pull on the ends of the cables to see if the inner core is broken, if the cables feel alright, leave them disconnected and go to the control box and feel the shift and throttle movement, just shift it back and forth as though you were using the motor, go to the wide open throttle position and return, if the movement is ok and there are no stiff spots the control and cables are good, then the problem could be on the motor, if there is a tight, stiff spot or simply not a smooth action from the control, remove the control box from the boat, (2 screws (#9) , when the box is off the boat lift the cold start just a little before splitting the two halves, to open the box, remove the three screws(#19) in the back and the box will separate, look at the teeth on the lever (#2) and the teeth on the gear(#23) that interlocks with it, these are easily replaced and available at www.boats.net , apply a little grease in the slide area when reassembling the parts, if you have follow-up questions just return here, I'll be happy to help........Tom Diagram of  Evinrude Parts 1988 E120TLCCA 1988 REMOTE CONTROL Diagram

Edited by tom on 8/4/2010 at 12:10 PM EST
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
thanks Tom, unfortunately boats.net displays that the parts you mention are "obsolete", both the lever(2) and gear (23). I haven't had a chance to get at it yet but would bet on those two as being strong contenders.
Any ideas who else might have them? If a new box is necessary, should I go used or??
regards
Don
Hello Don, sorry about that, I have a few outlets to check that sometimes have the obsolete stuff still in stock, but if you can find a good used box for donor parts that is a good solution, if we can find the parts to make the repair it will be easier than replacing the box, (less expensive too). To replace the box will mean having to pull the wiring harness to the engine, so the easier route is to repair your box. I'll see what I can do to find some parts, thanks ---Tom
Hi Don, I hav'nt found the part new, but those parts used are listed on e-bay for 35.00 and shipping, in the e-bay search enter item # XXXXX they appear to be in good condition, I'll let you know if I find them new ------------thanks--Tom
Uh, Tom, it appears I need to pay to accept any information from you. I would have hoped the initial link rectification would have been included. Please don't do any more work on my behalf. I will need to search once I have the problem acuratley diagnosed.
regards
Don
thanks