Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

i got a 9.9 evinrude with the 15 horsepower carb and when i…

i got a 9.9 evinrude...
i got a 9.9 evinrude with the 15 horsepower carb and when i first start the boat up and take off it runs very good and fast but after about 5-10 minutes of running it will cut clean back to like its around half throttle but its not. i put the engine into neutral and it will wind out like it should. but once back into gear it wont wind back out like it should but i got it full throttle and the engine sounds just fine other than it sounds like its bogging down. what could be causing this?
7/29/2010
Marine Mechanic: tom, Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
Hello I'm Tom, I'll be happy to help you,if you have follow-up questions, just return here. It sounds like the motor is dropping fire to a cylinder, the motor will rev up in neutral because there is no load on it, if you have a timing light you can place it on the cylinders one at a time and see, you are not checking timing, you just want to see the light flash when the ignition fires, if you don't want to use a timing light you can pick up a spark gap tester at an auto parts and try the plug wires one at a time when it starts the failure, sometimes a coil or power pack will fail after running a while and heat builds up in them.----------------Tom

Edited by tom on 7/29/2010 at 6:48 PM EST
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic