Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just bought a used 1989 Mercury 115 hp outboard. I use to…

I just bought a used...
I just bought a used 1989 Mercury 115 hp outboard. I use to have a Mercury Force 120hp. It has the 8 pin conection. When I turn the key the alarm sounds. Myself and others think its the "No oil warning". The Force was an oil mix motor and the 115 has an oil reserve. If this is the problem could you tell me which wire it is? Thanx, Chris
7/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: Larry B., Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Larry B.
Larry B., Marine Mechanic

Two things to check, with the key in the on position and the horn sounding, find the temp sensor up near the top spark plug, it will have a tan wire coming out of it, follow the tan wire to a bullet connector, or on some older models a junction block, disconnect the tan wire, If the horn stops, look for bad sensor or a bare spot in the wire that is shorting to ground.

If the horn remains, reconnect the tan wire and look at the bottom of the oil tank, there are two blue wires, follow them to the bullet connectors and unplug them. If the horn stops, and there is oil in the tank (about 1/3 full) then the float is saturated with oil and will no longer float or the sensor in the bottom of the tank is bad. If the horn continues with these two things unplugged, the warning module is most likely bad. If the horn stops check the sensor in the tank.

To test the float switch and sensor in the oil tank , follow the blue wires up to the tank, there is a phillips head screw in the bottom of the tank that holds the sensor in (no oil will leak out of you remove the sensor) The sensor has a metal reed switch inside and the float in the tank is a magnet, so if you remove the sensor and hook one lead of an ohm meter to each blue wire (red lead to one blue wire and black lead to the other) and then pass a magnet near the sensor, the reading will change from no continuity to full continuity. this would mean the sensor is good and the float is saturated with oil and will no longer float, replace the oil tank, you cannot buy the float.

This engine has no "no oil warning" for the oil pump, it has low oil and overheat. But the oil pump is very reliable on this motor.

Edited by Larry B. on 7/27/2010 at 11:47 PM EST
Larry B.
Larry B., Marine Mechanic