Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an 05 250 verado supercharged that has run faultless…

Customer Question
I have an 05 250...
I have an 05 250 verado supercharged that has run faultless up until last weekend.For some strange reason the trim button on the controls,when activated shuts down the engine and stranger still you can start the engine by touching the trim button??.When operating the trim switch on the engine itself it works fine....
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/26/2010
Marine Mechanic: Larry B., Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Larry B.
Larry B., Marine Mechanic

Thats a weird problem, never seen that one before, but I think I know what is happening, this engine is equipped with "Smart Start" if the engine is running and the PCM see's a signal from the crank position sensor and you turn the key to start, the PCM will see 12 volts on the yellow wire with a red tracer and shut the motor off, then if you turn the key to start and the PCM does not see the signal from the crank sensor it knows it time to start turning the starter to fire up the engine.

Somehow voltage is getting from one of the trim wires (light blue with a white stripe if this happens when the trim button up is pushed, light green/white if the down button causes it) to the yellow /red , I would start looking around under the console for the short between the two. You could unplug the command module, the trim switch at the control and the yellow/ red at the ignition switch and use an ohm meter to check the harness.

And in this case the cowl mounted trim switch would not cause the same problem, it is a different circuit, the control trim switch runs thru the command module along with the start signal.

Edited by Larry B. on 7/26/2010 at 11:10 PM EST
Larry B.
Larry B., Marine Mechanic
Larry please advise where the control module is that you suggest that i unplug,and what is the correct removal of the remote to inspect the wires that are behind it.

The command module will be mounted under the console it is a rectangular box with one multi wire plug and will have a sticker on it identifying the version of the module such as Ver.72,

Also underneath the console you should be able to access the wiring for the control box, the trim switch wires are in a three wire connector, with the light blue with a white stripe, light green with a white stripe and another wire that is purple I believe, it will be the only connector with the blue and green wires,

The ignition switch should also have a connector that you can unplug . (I would be sure key is off and turn the battery switch off or disconnect the ground side completely. The wiring can look confusing so if you are not comfortable with this kind of thing I would take it in for repairs.

What I am trying to get you to do is isolate the blue/white, green/white and yellow/red from any other components and check for a short between the yellow/ red and the correct trim wire that is causing the issue ( blue/white if the up button is stopping/starting the motor, green/white if the down button does it) Using an ohm meter, place one lead on the yellow/red and the other lead on the trim wire and see if there is continuity, if so find and repair the short, or replace the command module harness, if you find no short in this harness then the problem may be in the command module or the 14 pin harness to the engine. (has a large round plug at each end).

The 14 pin harness can also be unplugged at both ends, (engine and console twist the locking ring and pull apart) and checked with an ohm meter, but I will have to look at a pin out chart to locate the wire colors I am looking for.

Either harness can be replaced without to much trouble but if you need a new command module it would have to be programed at a Mercury dealership that has the correct software on a laptop computer

Larry last night i removed the console to find the plug in question soaked with water.Have isolated leak ,dried plug and tested to find all working again.thank you for your help.

Your kidding!!! thats all it was, thats great!!! saved allot of headaches, thank you for the accept and I hope you will come back in the future.