Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Johnson J200TX outboard that I just rebuilt/replaced…

Customer Question
I have a Johnson J200TX...
I have a Johnson J200TX outboard that I just rebuilt/replaced the water pump- water is coming out the weep hole at the rear of the engine but after a while the overheating buzzer comes on- from when it first overheated- and then I replaced the water pump does the buzzer need to be reset or does it reset it self or do i still have a water problem????? Thank You in advance [email protected]
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Boat
7/20/2010
Marine Mechanic: tom, Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
Hello I'm Tom, I'll be happy to help you,if you have follow-up questions, just return here, please give the complete model number so we can be sure to get the right motor, thanks--Tom
Johnson J200TX 1994 200HP MFG Serial Number #03580872 this is all the info I have??
Ok, sorry for the inconvenience, OMC has had a 200 TX model in the line-up since 1980. But this much we can be sure of, the overheat system on you motor should cycle off after the key is turned off and back on as long as the motor has cooled down, if you are getting an overheat alarm after running a while, then there is still a cooling problem, if the impeller that was replaced had any pieces missing, they can lodge in the water jacket, if the thermostats have not been replaced yet this could also be a factor, when you drop the lower you can push a garden hose directly on the water tube with the thermostat covers off and see if you get an even flow of water on each side, try running the motor in the water with the cowling off and check the temp on each bank to see which is overheating if not both, it only takes one sender to set off the alarm, and one other thing that helps to know when you install the waterpump housing down over the impeller, turn the driveshaft in a clockwise direction (right hand rotation) to wind the impeller in the most efficient direction for priming. -------------Tom
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic