Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I currently have a Mercruiser 454 block, 7.4 MPI Horizon engine

I currently have a Mercruiser 454 block, 7.4 MPI Horizon engine in my 1999 Sea Ray 37' Aft Cabin. It has the original electronic ignition in it. I was wondering it there is a better electronic ignition (new technology) that I can switch to?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Dominick replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the question,

These electronic ignitions systems (Mercruiser) really give up no issues to speak of....The occasional corroded coil, and the necessary cap rotor wire changes, but no issues with the sensor or the ECM.

Have you had a issue with this unit?....My recommendation would be to keep what you have, it is very good system....

Should you look at other systems, first they will not be compatible with the MPI engine, nor will they be both Coast Guard compliant, and better....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did have an issue with the ecm's which had to be replaced. I had surging between(NNN) NNN-NNNNrpm's. This has been corrected now but was thinking of replacing the electronic ignition and or distributor to a more advanced one (newer model/technology if there is one).
Expert:  Dominick replied 7 years ago.
Don't think that is possible, and your engine is equipped with a darn good one now....I would still recommend keeping the unit you have....