Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1995 Bayliner Capris. It runs excellent. I had it…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Bayliner...
I have a 1995 Bayliner Capris. It runs excellent. I had it out about a week ago, when I put it on the trailer, I always raise the motor all the way up. I put it in the water this past weekend and now the motor is stuck in the up position. I have a trim and trailer button, neither make a sound when they are engaged. The inline fuse is still reads good. Any idea of what it could be, before I have to take in the shop?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/29/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, sounds like the trim relay is bad, try swapping them around and also push the 50amp circuit breaker on the motor. the trim is just to trim it, the trailer button moves it full up and then down to the highest trim height. if you do not here the motor running while using the trailer button, then we need to test for 12V at the trim motor

Is the trim relay inside the hand control/remote? And you are talking about swapping the trim with the trailer?

I've tried pushing the circuit breaker by itself

no you have solenoids on the trim pump, next to the fuses
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician

Sorry,, I see the solenoids, which wires am I swapping on the solenoids?

I have a red, blue and green coming form the trim/trailer buttons.

Sorry, kind of new

green is down, blue is up, see if you have 12V to the red also

Ok we have some progress. I swapped the two wires and the motor sounded. The motor tries to raise, but still won't lower.

If it that means the trim relay is bad, what is my next step< basically what do I need to get to fix the problem.

And thanks for the help, so far

if you apply 12V to the green it will go down, check the fuses to green solenoid and 12V power. you just have a bad solenoid
I appreciate the help, you hit it right on the head
well considering i do this for a living, i better be good!!! have a happy 4th!!