Jason
Jason, Boat and Mechanical Expert
Experience:  10 yrs. running and working at my boat dealership.
25765976

I have a 186 DC Key West boat with a 140 Hp 4 Stroke Suzuki

Customer Question

I have a 186 DC Key West boat with a 140 Hp 4 Stroke Suzuki Motor. Incorporated in the motor mount (and part of it ) are two hydraulic (??) cylinders that keep the motor from "slamming" against the boat when it is lowered in storing position. These cylinders come up freely when the motor is raised by the main tilt cylinder.
Lately I noticed a sort of "scratching' noise when lowering the motor and my sons reported that the motor actually came up from the lowered position While they were driving in the water. Have you heard about this from others and what could be the cause?
Is there something at the hydraulic unit that needs to be done? Check fluid level (HOW?) Exchange fluid or just fill it up with what fluid ? Unfortunately there is nothing in the motor booklet concerning the hydraulics.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Karl Bleimann.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.
I would say the problem of the motor rising on its own is a defective switch at the controls or the one on the side of the engine. You will have to disconnect them one at a time to isolate the problem. I would guess the switch at the motor to be the culprit, as this is the one that usually fails. I am attaching a diagram that will show you the trim and tilt pump. In the diagram the reservoir is #8, and the cap is #9. Unscrew the cap, and top off with power trim and tilt fluid, available at any marine store. The "scratching" noise is most likely some air in the system, and topping off the fluid and running up and down should purge any air in the system. If you need further explanation on any of the above, please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the info and it makes sense. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the diagram that you said you have attached.

Regards,

Karl Bleimann

Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.

Try this link, and let me know you were able to view it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/2004/DF140T/TRIM%20CYLINDER/parts.html