Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 28hp outboard model E28ESLCCR. The problem is it bogs…

Customer Question
I have a 28hp outboard...
I have a 28hp outboard model E28ESLCCR. The problem is it bogs down and stalls under load. Had a mechanic go over the carb fuel pump and filter all ok according to him. Their is a red adjustment on the engine that he adjusted. Also on the front of the carb their is a black adjustment. Do not know what this is for. The mix is 100 to 1 and is right on. Should the oil mix be water cooled oil or is any pre mix ok? Also we have 10% Ethanol in our local station. It seems since the station started carring this we have had the problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/29/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
Change your oil ratio to 50 to 1 NOT 100 to 1
Ethanol is OK but I would use a stabilizer for marine use.
Your low speed idle mixture screw should be out one turn from lightly seated. This is the knob in the front top. If the engine bogs on take off turn it out 1/8 to 1/4 turn.
The red lever is the primer this should be parallel to the body and off.
You must use a marine TCW-3 certified outboard oil. Other oils or air cooled are not acceptable.
Other than the low speed idle mixture there is no other adjustment necessary on the carb.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Why 50-1 when on the engine its labled 100-1 What is the red lever device function? Thanks I will do your suggested changes.
The red lever devise is a primer. When starting, when you push in on the key it squirt a little gas into the back of the carburetor to help start. Similar to a choke.
OMC came out with engines they said would run fine on 100 to 1. They rescinded that recommendation a year or so later. They found in many cases the 100 to 1 did not leave enough oil residue on the cylinders and internal parts to prevent rust from forming so they went back to 50 to 1.
So only use a TCW3 certified oil at 50 to 1.
I know about the primer button but what i am talking about is actually a red lever that can be rotated up or down.I was told that this has something to do with fuel setting or something. Again thanks
You are referring to a red lever that is attached to a round black cylinder about 2" long and 1/1/2" in diameter with a purple white wire going to it and 3 small hoses, correct?
Yes
That is the primer. The red lever is not used unless the electrical part of the primer fails. It must be off, parallel with the body of the primer at all times. If open it will cause a flooding condition in the carb. There is no adjustments with it. If your mechanic was using that to adjust the carb get another mechanic as he has no clue.