Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I disassembled the lower unit from my 1962 6 Hp Mercury outboard…

Customer Question
I disassembled the lower unit...
I disassembled the lower unit from my 1962 6 Hp Mercury outboard to check the
impeller. (It was fine).
Now I can't get it to go back together. It stops about 1/2" FROM HOME. I SUSPECT THE SPLINES ON THE SHIFT SHAFT ARE NOT LINING UP WITH THE FEMALE SPLINES ON THE MOTOR, BUT I TRIED ALL COMBINATIONS OF SHIFT POSITION AND IT JUST WON'T GO TOGETHER.
What am I doing wrong?
RALPH
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/29/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
Make sure the shift linkage and the lower unit linkage are both in forward gear. Put a little grease on the shift shaft. Put a heavy coat on the driveshaft splines. When you push up and have the shift shafts aligned you will see if the lower shaft pushes up on the upper shaft. Make sure the splines are very clean.
Pull slightly on the pull cord to align the drive shaft with the crankshaft. Also make sure the water pump indexes with the water tube.
Is this a long shaft or short shaft model?
Once in place shift to neutral then back to forward to ensure gear engagement.
Jeff
Jeff,
I didn't realize you had answered my question. I will accept your answer, but please note I have done exactly what you suggested, (except for greasing the shafts), but the assembly just seems to stop with a click about 1/2" short of home. I have the opinion it is the shift shaft which is not engaging with the female splines in the upper unit, as when I pull the starter cord in this position, 1/2" from home, the drive shaft rotates.

I will try again tomorrow. Thank you.
Before you put them together take a small screwdriver and scrape any dirt or rust off of the female splines in the upper shaft. Clean throughly, do the same for the lower. When you put them together only put grease on the sides of the splines, you don't need much.