Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 40 hp 2 stroke 1993 mercury outboard that will run…

I have a 40 hp...
I have a 40 hp 2 stroke 1993 mercury outboard that will run great out of the water, put it in the water it wont even start, any suggestions. Tim
6/29/2010
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
When you put it into the water and try to start what happens? Why was the crankshaft replaced?
Was the engine retimed?
<p>it spits and sputters but wont start, crankshaft was broken when we bought and has been repaired.with the water muffs on it it runs out great, idles around 1000 rpms.their was no visable damage to the cylinders or walls.yes it retimed</p><p> </p>
Check that the flywheel key has not moved in installing the flywheel.
Check for spark on all 4 cylinders with a spark tester set at 1/2".
Remove the fuel pump from the engine, don't take the lines off and squeeze the primer bulb. Is there any fuel leakage out the back of the pump.
Check the fuel pumps on the side of the carbs. Squeeze the fuel pump, do you see any leaking into the throat of the carb?
When running on the hose, spray some WD-40 around the base of the carbs and see if the rpm changes.
Try these tests and post back so we can narrow down where the problem is.
Jeff

while checking the info you sent , i found the nut on the bottom carb bowl was loose and a couple of hoses that needed tighing up , pump seems to be fine. so i put it in a barrel and it ran fine but would not let me put the idle all the way down so i let it run for a few minutes it seem to run fine then, i tiuned it off tried to adjust the idle and would not start again. i checked plugs 3,4 seemed a little black to me. does this sound like timing issue. Tim by the way im in greenville sc.

Tim it sounds like you are rich on those cylinders. Your timing is easy enough to check.
Can you get me the serial number of the engine? Does your engine have the single barrel or two barrel carb?
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
serial # 0d151928, two singles is how i would describe it. how do you check the timing. this boat is driving me crazy.it does seem to put out to much fuel in lower carb.
You check the timing with a timing light.
You can adjust the idle mixture with the screw in the top right of the carb. Turning it in will lean out the mixture. Before you adjust the mixture make sure the carb shutters are closed all the way. If one is cracked open it will mess with the idle speed.
Your initial timing should be 2* give or take a couple degrees.
The initial setting for the idle mixture screw is 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated.

Here is a link to download on your synchronization. Follow this
Sync and timing

Download this and save to your computer
I checked timing and adjusted idle screw, got it running better but it still shuts down when in water after you throttle it down. There is a lot of gas comming out of the bottom carb after shutdown. Can you tell me how to sinc/adjust carb sync and idle screws on throtle linkage? also the sync and timming download expired before I could save it. Please give me notice as to when you are going to down load this so I can reply and be at my computer. Thanks
Here is the link again; sync