Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

my brand new 09 kawaski 260 x ultra..left overwith 5 hours…

Customer Question
my brand new 09 kawaski...
my brand new 09 kawaski 260 x ultra..left overwith 5 hours will not start.. its has gas ..plugs spark.. look fine..cranks but will not start..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/29/2010
Marine Mechanic: Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft replied 8 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft

Hi my name is Kenny

When you inserting the key are you getting any beeps ?

"left overwith 5 hours will not start" not sure what you mean by this ?

Thanks

Kenny

yes i get beeps with key..i just brought it new...its a 09 left over..i put 5 hours on it ..

now it will not start.. battery is good spark plugs look good..and they spark..

the ski always seems hard to start..

kevin

Thanks Kevin

When you insert the key and everything cycles, do you have the fuel pump come on ? (you might pull the seat off) you should hear it cycle for about 3 seconds.

These are not hard starting ski's, when you were running it for the five hours did you notice any runnability problems other then the hard starting, also do you remember what the speedo was indicating ?

I know you put five hours on it, was there any hours on it when you purchased it from the dealer ? and if you don't mind me asking what dealer did you purchase it from ?

Thanks Kevin

Kenny

hello kenny,, it had no hours on it.. i purchased it at shelter cove marina in tuckerton, new jersey..i did not notice if the fuel pump came on when i insertred the key..i did not notice any runnability problems..i didnt know about the speedo indicating anything..i brought it back to dealer on friday , they said they will look at it today.. hook it up to computer .. is that what they will do??will that tell them whats wrong?? its just so fustrating....what do you think it could be??i did smell alot..it got flooded once..
i did smell gas often..when starting..
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

In all honesty the ski is still under the factory warranty!

Sounds like it was flooding out, its hard to guess without diagnosing the problem and now the dealer has it, but none the less there is nothing you should need to do as the ski is still as I said covered under the factory warranty so as long as you did not damage it then it should not cost you a penny to fix it.

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin thanks for getting back, let me know what the outcome is I suspect is has something to do with the fuel pump, they can hook it up to KDS and run a few test on some of the various components in the system.

When I was with Kawasaki I did a lot of development work with that unit, if you are not happy with that dealer let me know there are some really good dealer in NJ that I can recommend you taking it to.

Sorry about this other expert, hes been jumping in on my questions and acting it a very unprofessional manner on this site.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny O.
kenny thanks very much..the dealer just call they said it was the plugs.. and they dont understand it..whats the name of the dealer you like??

again thank you..
kevin

Thanks Kevin

Those SC units will do that from time to time, its not very common, if the problem persists then you have something else going on.

When you get this back in the water keep an eye that you are getting full boost, Its crucial that you take it back for the first service, you want to make sure that the SC belt is to its spec, what can happen if they get a little loose then they tend to slip causing the boost to fall off, this ski has different map at WOT and it DUMPS lots of into the engine, if the boost is off then they tend to run rich, which in turn could conceivably foul plugs.

I don't know how far you are from Toms River but the dealer there is very knowledgeable with PWC's, you can ask for Peter he's the owner, tell him that I recommended you to him, Pete is a Great guy, one of the best dealer on the east coast for PWC.

The price of those plugs are a little spendy, maybe pick up a set for, "just in case" but in any case Kawasaki will pay for those if its nothing you did, and in this case I don't see where this was your fault.

Enjoy the summer on your new ski, those are a blast !

If you need anything in the future you can ask for me, I'll be glad to help you out !

Thanks again

Kenny