Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

we have a 2004 merc 150 optimax that when cruising for approx…

Customer Question
we have a 2004 merc...
we have a 2004 merc 150 optimax that when cruising for approx 2 min will beep three times and quit. the water pump seems to be putting out a good stream of water. the smart craft screen shows the picture of the engine. sometimes it will show the engine, oil and water problems. in the tank it will run approx 3 min and then start with a steady beep and limit the rpm. always starts back up but rpm is limited.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
Can you give me the serial number.
If the engine goes into guardian mode it sets a code.
Can you explain in the tank? Is this a test tank?
When it beeps three times and quits do you mean the beeps stop or the engine stops?
Post back your answers and serial number.
Jeff

ser # OT847921 2004 150XL OPT. Yes it is a test tank. The engine quits.

when in the test tank, the engine when WOT it would run approx 1 min the the beeper would come on with a steady beep and the rpm would be limited to approx 2500-2600. The screen would show a pic of the engine and a symbol of what looks like a bell. When the boat was new in 2004, When you would slow down , sometimes it would beep three time and the motor would quit. It would start right back up and the speed would not be limited. It is steadly getting worse and now the speed does lmit. We have seen the engine symbol, oil symbol and water symbol at different times and some times together. Thanks

You can't really test it in a test tank. The engine will overheat. You need to test in the water, in gear running. Running in the test tank will heat the water and also cause cavitation and possible over reving of the engine both of which will set off the alarm and go into Guardian mode.
Which signal are you getting now?