Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Ive got a 1994 Mercruiser 5.0 V8 just sold it and is now returning…

Customer Question
I've got a 1994 Mercruiser...
I've got a 1994 Mercruiser 5.0 V8 just sold it and is now returning to me because there is water in the oil. Winterized the boat so I don't feel it is a cracked block. Could it be a cheaper fix maybe a gasket gone bad?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
It is possible for the drain hole to get blocked up with scale from inside the water jacket. When you take out the plug nothing comes out and if you don't notice it doesn't drain that side. I often need to clear the drain hole with a small screwdriver. You can usually find the leak with a cooling system pressure tester. Disconnect the hoses to the manifolds and plug them. Disconnect the water hose to the drive and hook up the pressure tester to the engine side. When you pressurize the block you will hear the leak.
Does the cooling system pressure test let me know if it is a gasket that needs to be replaced or if it is a crack in the block/manifold? need more info on the purpose and results to expect from a pressure test. The local mecanic is wanting to charge me $90.00 an hour to break down the engine and look for the supposed crack and there was no mention of a cooling system pressure check. They are already pushing for a new crate engine and no diagnostics have been done other than a visual of the milky oil on the dipstick and the visual of no external cracks while the water hose was hooked to the stern.
If there is a leaking head gasket you need to take apart the engine farther than you would need to see if the block is cracked. If these engines crack, its usually in the valley under the intake manifold. You will see it as soon as the intake is off. The pressure test won't tell you what is leaking but it will verify that there is a leak. You don't know for certain that the water got there from an internal leak do you? It would be a shame to take apart the engine if it doesn't actually have a leak. If the engine was running when it was put away it is very unlikely that the head gasket leaks now unless something happened to it recently. The gasket simply will not fail while the engine is sitting. How long have they had the boat? Does the oil level rise noticeably fairly quick?
Oil level is still high. They bought the boat last Wed. Took it out to the lake to test this weekend and said he ran it for approx 20 minutes. Worked great, smooth, powerful no issues. Checked the oil this morning cause he was going to do an oil change and saw the milk color on the dipstick. He pulled the dipstick on Wed and oil looked fine. So we ran it by the marina and said gotta be a cracked block on the inside and are pushing for a new crate engine which will run approx $4.5K plus labor to install. I'm trying to become more knowledgeable so that I don't get ripped off. So if there are other possibilities I would like to narrow them down before replacing the whole engine.
Do you remember for certain that water came out both sides of the block when you drained it? I would still pressure test it but thats me. I can get a rebuilt long block to Mercruiser specs from a machine shop for about $3000.00 you might want to call around.

Edited by K.Kergan on 6/28/2010 at 11:41 PM EST