Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My engine wont crank the batteries are new. I had it working,

Customer Question
but then it quit. Now...
My engine wont crank the batteries are new. I had it working, but then it quit. Now when I turn the ignition switch I can see that power is flowing when looking at the battery guage, it goes from 12 down to 8 but no cranking. I replaced the starter solenoid ansd still the same thing.
Also, I noticed before this happened that when I would start the motor, I could still hear a loud spinning noise from the engine for a few seconds
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
welcome, did you check for power at the starter with a test light yet?
no, it's kind of hard to see, but I will try that. I have power to the solenoid on top of the starter, i know it's a dumb question, but how do I check for power at the starter when i cant turn the ignition to ON, or doe the key switch just need to be turned to where I have battery power?/
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

You most likely have a bad starter, the loud spinning noise would have been the starter spinning but not engauged then sometimes it will engauge, this can also happen if all teeth are gone from the starter or flywheel but then you will usually hear grinding.

To test the starter for 12v you need two people or a long set of leads, dont use a test light as that will not tell you anything, you need to use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage or close to that while cranking you usually need to have one person crank and the other person test it.

I can pretty much tell you a few things since 12v drops to 8v while cranking this is usually a bad starter, but check that the ground to the block is good and tight and clean, then test the starter by running a jumper wire for the pos side of the battery and touch the pos terminal on the starter if it still does not crank then you have a bad starter, a bad ground a bad battery or engine is locked up but then you would hear a clunk when you try to start. Make sure to have your battery tested, walmart,napa,autozone will all load test it for free for you.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

If it is a bad starter can I replace it in place or will the engine need to be removed? Thanks!!

Yes, sometimes you have to remove a few things to get to it, most are never as one would call easy but yes you can replace it in the boat.

Remember to always disconnect the battery first. Neg first then pos, then when putting back together pos first then neg.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/28/2010 at 7:45 PM EST
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
THANKS!!!
Thanks!!!