Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

i have a 2004 yamaha f/x cruiser ho jet ski -- it will not…

Customer Question
i have a 2004 yamaha...
i have a 2004 yamaha f/x cruiser ho jet ski -- it will not go over 18mph -- the low mode is light is not on -- it there anyway to disconnect the low mode, assuming thats the problem
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 8 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
If the Low mode light is not on, it probably isn't in the low mode. Can you provide the history or background leading up to discovering this problem? The more info you provide the easier and quicker we can get you back on the water. I would also like to know how many RPM's it is turning now when it is only running 18 mph.
Thanks
RSRBOB

i cant remember the rpms when it was in the water - on land it revs all the way up to 8000 -10000

i just bought it used - first time i put it in the water and the dealer is closed today

propeler is clean and clear on debris

Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Please check the rpms in the water because most times it is just blockage in the jetpump, other times is a bad wear ring and or impeller and sometimes a cracked hosuing, this is all true if you are hitting full rpms but hardly any speed.

If you find you have full or near full rpms but no speed please let me know and I can explain what you need to check.

Thanks,

Joe

i finally put it in the water again -- i have full rpms but no speed
This is a symptom called cavatation. The water going through the pump is being aerated. The first thing you need to check is the impeller shaft for weeds, rope or other debris wrapped around it. This is the most common cause for this symptom. To check this, you need to be able to safely get under the ski and look into the intake grate back towards the impeller. If you see anything wrapped around the shaft, you need to remove that debris. Anything at all wrapped around that shaft will cause the high rpm's with low mph. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks,
RSRBOB
there is no debris -- its totally clean

If anything where wrapped around the actual driveshaft it would not get full rpms, full speed and there would be a vibration.

Please inspect the wear ring and impeller for damage, the wear ring is usually plastic and surrounds the outside on the impeller inside the jetpump, you are looking for anything other then a smooth surface, the impeller and bends or chips/cracks.

Then inspect the jetpump housing for damage as well.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe