Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

A good friend has asked me to help him to get running - a 1988…

A good friend has asked...
A good friend has asked me to help him to get running - a 1988 - 15 HP Evinrude outboard motor that sat for a couple of years and the owner did not run the fuel out and now it appears that the carb is most likely gummed-up and it won't start (electric start). Is there a way to clean the fuel and carb system without taking the system apart? I know it did run great before.

Also, I would like to buy an "original" or hard copy Evinrude service manual for this model - E15 ECCE. Any suggestions on what manual to buy and where to get it?

Thank you in advance....Greg
6/28/2010
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
There is no way to clean the carb without disassembly.
You will need to pull the starter to get to the carb. Luckily it is an easy carb to clean and rebuild.
Use a new gasket kit.
Set the float parallel with the carb body held upside down.
Count the number of turns in on the idle mixture screw then remove it. When you put it back in you will turn it all the way in until lightly seated then turn it out the same number of turns as originally.
As for the manual e-bay would be your best bet. Part number 507660. The aftermarket manuals are OK at best. You could try your local dealer. Be aware they can be pricey.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic

Hi Jeff....Thanks for your reply....I am a machinist by trade & have overhauled early model Chevy 6-cylinders (1954 ect.) but I have never worked on outboard engines, so excuse some of my questions.

1. The carb is under the air cleaner & next to the pull-start mechanism - correct? I ask because you said pull the starter (which is an electric starter motor on the side of the engine) and that is next to where the fuel line comes into what appears to be a fuel filter..So I remove the air cleaner & the pull start mechanism first to get to the carb bolts... Is that correct?

2. Can you recommend a cleaner solution?

3. Do I need to replace the rubber fuel lines or anything else to clean besides the carb?

thanks..Greg

The air cleaner is an air silencer, no cleaner on a 2 stroke.
When you pull the manual starter be careful not to pull the mounting bolt out of the starter housing. When you get it off pull the starter away from the engine and put a nut 3/8 16 if I remember, on the bolt to keep it in place and let it hang out of the way. Note the tab on the bottom, it must index to the hole in the mounting bracket when you reinstall.
Just use some spray carb cleaner and compressed air. That's all you will need.
Replacing the fuel lines never hurt, if yours show bad at all yes, if no you will have to make the determination.
Jeff